1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V The world of speakers really baffles me...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 30 Jan 2015.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'm in the market for some new speakers for my PC and after spending all day looking at reviews and the like I'm no closer to making a decision. I have literally no clue what I'm looking for when it comes to anything sound or what any of the specs that get listed actually mean. Would somebody offer a kind helping hand?

I'm currently using a re-purposed DVD player with a 5.1 surround system but it's on it's last legs at the moment. Could somebody recommend a replacement setup? Size of the speakers are not really an issue or the amount of them, only the budget for which I'll say about £100.

One of the setups that has caught my eye is the Microlabs Solo8c or Solo6c, does anybody by any chance have any experience with these or know of something of similar quality?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I recently bought the Solo 6 c and am very pleased. Like you I know little of speakers so just looking for a pair that gave a decent sound. I also wanted a remote control. After reading many reviews and posting questions all over the place I decided on these particular speakers.

Quality of build is excellent so is the sound well it certainly is to my ears. I have them connected to my PC via a external sound cardhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=11P1MGQVK7Z7I&K=A2WEBFS4OIMNIH&R=CN67BAYPJMU5&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB002GHBYZ0%2Fref%3Dpe_385721_37986871_TE_item&A=AJZTX7AMFT2YQRUSQYD8XQAWH5GA&H=47AGLIZFDRG9MWXONGFFOKR2RDWA and I am very happy with the result.

Not being an audio geek I have not got a clue how to review speakers so any question you have please ask and I will do my best to answer.

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Another vote for the Solo 6C's here. I have a pair and have been really impressed with them. Mine are run from a Asus Essence STX soundcard. The pairing sounds incredible. The thing that impressed me the most was the quality of the sound produced for around £70. They are exceptional value.

4. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

This seems to be the general consensus in reviews too. I'm a little put off by the lack of a subwoofer though. How is the bass on them?

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Regarding the thread title
    [​IMG]

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Got a pair of SOLO6Cs, really like them, probably not got the biggest bass on the planet (nothing for me to compare them to), but I've been pleased with them, having more than enough volume if wanted.

8. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I ended up getting the Solo8c's after having more money than I thought I would. Absolutely no regrets at all, great set of speakers.