1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To leave Power on or to turn off??

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Norfolk'N'Good, 20 Jul 2009.

1. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I would reccommend that you turn everything off, Gas Electricity and Water, excepting perhaps a circuit for the Freezer/Fridge. if you are at home then you can cope with an emergency, but not if you are on another planet please also check your insurance, they normally expect you to do as stated

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Taffy, I mean no disrespect (and I'm aware of your age) but that is a rather old fashioned attitude. Yes, I know, better safe than sorry. But I can't help feeling that turning off gas, electricity and water before going away for a weeks holiday errs on the side of overkill.

P.S. Are you aware of the 1.5 BETA bios' for the GD70. I've seen several reports of success with unlocking the 4th core of X3 720. Any interest in trying?

Tony over at OCZ forum has posted links to the BETA's.

GD70 bios files (up to 1.51)

X3 720 4th core unlocked with bios 151

Finally unlocked n stable (X3 720BE)

Latest 1.53 BETA bios is linked from the thread above

Last edited: 25 Jul 2009
  3. Taffy

Hi Jack, Its not that I have an old fashioned attitude but a neighbour lost all because the insurance said he had not "taken due Care" by not turning things off. These insurance guys will wriggle out with any excuse,I know 'cos I worked for them for a couple of months, and left because I was so disgusted.
    No I have not heard of the 1.5, only the 1.3, amd I have not yet installed that one but I am interested in trying to get the 4th core working. many thanks for the info

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Even if you take care, they will find something. Like your house is not up to the insurance level building code, or some **** like that. The only time insurance will cover you properly is if you get the high or highest premium service.

5. JackOfAll

Someone else is as cynical as me!

It's not something I've given a lot of thought to before. I've never even considered turning off gas and water before going on holiday. Trying to think back to when I was younger, I don't remember my parents doing so before the family holiday. I remember Mum unplugging the aerial from the rear of the television, in case of a lightening strike, but that was about it.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2009
  6. JackOfAll

Let us know if you do try.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well no, I don't cut off anything when I leave. I trust where I live to be up to building code, I trust the city inspectors, and I follow city guidelines to prevent anything going bad (i.e: not attaching 200 power splitters and all linked to ovens).

With that I mind, you have statistics. Sure it COULD happen that a disaster occurs and that the insurance doesn't pay up... but it's minimal.

8. JackOfAll

Agreed. That's pretty much how I see it as well.

9. Taffy

Hi Jack,
    I have installed 1.3 OK and downloaded 1.51 but how do I install that one, it appears that I should have a usb memory drive, which I have, but it is not a bootable one. I have put ACC to auto, Selected all ports, and set them to 0% as suggested but no dice so far, the computer still works OK though :D

10. JackOfAll

OK, 1.3 will not support unlocking. (Neither will recently released 1.4). Must be the BETA 1.51 or higher.

This is from memory - the board has M-FLASH in the bios, (just like the Asus EZ Flash), so you don't need a bootable USB drive. Just copy the bios file onto the USB drive, reboot, go into the bios setup to the M-FLASH tab and you should be able to update it from there.

11. Taffy

Yup, I looked at the M flash so will try this in the next few days and will let you Know how things go. I have already downloaded 1.51 and unzipped it. The system automatically downloaded and flashed 1.3 but does not show 1.51 is available, it would be easier if it was.
    Many thanks

12. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Back to the thread title ....

Just back from 2 weeks hols;
    house still standing, and all clients ticking along nicely giving about 70k PPD every day I've been away - SWEET :thumb:

[​IMG]

13. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Ok, vacation over and the decision on the power issue was to leave on, like DocJonz say my home is still standing, with no water, gas leaks or other disasters but one machine had bsod so logmein no help but points were still generated form the main pc.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I always leave mine on. I can get them all via logmein to my server and then VNC from there, or if I can't find an internet cafe or somewhere with a computer, there's always "Ignition" on my iPhone :thumb:

Not that I have been on holidays much since I started folding :rolleyes: but I did leave them for days at a time when they were running my my house outside Belfast, and will be doing so again soon once the farm is built.