1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today's slaughterhouse

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cozmo87, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

[Please delete]

Last edited: 13 Mar 2013
  2. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

I have some opposing views on this subject, probably to the point where I would call myself hypocritical.

I'm a meat eater, I love meat. I spent some time working in a butchers shop many years ago, so I've been arm deep in bits of animal and scooped brains out of heads. Probably as a result of this I have no issue with how an animal bred for food is killed. Ideally it should be quick as possible, but be under no illusions, these animals were born to die and as such you have to try and distance yourself from the anthropomorphised version of the animal you see and just think of the 'food product'.

People today are hugely detached from the animal that provided the meat, all they see is a red lump on the supermarket shelves. If you couldn't kill it, you shouldn't be eating it.

But then there is the other side of me. Im a pet lover. I currently own 2 Dogs and a large aquarium with several fish., when I was a child we had several dogs, small mammals and a aviary. I get really attached to my animals and in the past I've had to euthanize several of them, whether its been done by the vet (Dogs I've lost in the past due to old age) or by myself (Birds and fish who have been very ill). I wouldn't want them to suffer at all, its a hugely upsetting time. With the last dog I lost I couldn't even be present in the vet room, it was too traumatic.

Like I said hypocritical I guess.

However one thing I am opposed to is battery farming of any animal. An animal deserves a decent quality of life, whether that is 6 weeks or 6 years.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

do what you can to stop putting money into it then, if you haven't already :thumb: