Scratch Build – In Progress TRON Lightcycle - MotY 3rd Place!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It's Bod. It'll be awesome in a day or two, it won't be a non-log with a load of details then nothing.

It will be awesome, just you wait. :thumb:

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

It's a tease. This is Boddaker, we can only expect several levels of awesome from this. The BSG mod is testament to the fact that it is worth the damn wait.... :D

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm so looking forward to seeing this project spring to life, that is one hell of a great concept for a case and I can imagine already how amazing the final project will look all lit up at night.

4. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

/follow :D!

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol:
    Look! You broke the server! I almost got roped into doing a Tron bike too.:worried: I can't wait to see what you come up with.:D
    Yeah, People with a reputation can post post an 'air mod' start because you know they will deliver.

6. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

Sub'd! :thumb:

Looks a pretty complex fabrication for that chassis, I wish you the best of luck! If it works (which I'm sure it will albeit with some blood and tears as do most mods) it will look awesome!

Will pass on some experience regarding TRON lighting. Turquoise LEDs are nigh on impossible to source, did find a manufacturer in China, but.. it was in China, can't really guarantee your getting what you paid for or for that matter that it will last more than 5 min before it breaks (not much confidence from past experiences). Likewise with the turquoise Acrylic, didn’t find any in my days of searching. I would recommend EL Tape as it comes in blue or turquoise http://www.lighttape.com/, also see my build log (in my sig'). You get an even light throughout, its lightweight and can cut it to nearly any shape including disks to match those wheels. I used tape but sheets would be better for your app, http://electroluminescence-inc.com/customPattern.htm as a suggestion. Will be interested in seeing the final solution either which way, 100 ways to skin a cat the say! :dremel: lol

Hope the above is of some use for you.

7. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Too much of a good thing... is friggin' FANTASTIC!!!:D:D:D

Mod on :rock:

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Another bod mod! I will be watching:D!!!

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Mom!!!!!!!!!! Bod's back.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Subbing here too, it's too awesome to miss out on any updates :D I have absolute faith you'll do this excellent Bod :D:thumb:.

11. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

If you look at my Monster Truck project, that is basically the assembly method I'll be employing on this case, but instead of spacers, I'll use the 8" dia. acrylic tubes for the wheel hubs and a box frame construction for the center. For the fenders and seat area, I'll be skinning the center ribs with either fiberglass pieces, or vacu-formed acrylic.

Thanks Guinevere. I believe what I showed IS progress, just not using physical materials. My reasoning is that imo it's the same as making a cardboard mockup, and that would be construed as real progress wouldn't it? If I'm wrong, then I apologize and a Mod should move this thread over to the modding section. It may be a few days before I can show physical materials being joined together by my own hand (I still have to send the file out to be laser cut, then have the parts sent back to me).

Thanks andy for the lighting info! I have been following your log and your lighting came out awesome. :thumb: I'm going to play with uv lighting first, to see how that looks (kinda the same thing I did with Trident). If that doesn't come out well enough, then I'll turn to the EL tape. :)

To everyone, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your enthusiastic comments. I wasn't expecting such an overwhelming response! Only makes me more determined to see this project through to completion (before the deadline this time lol)

BIG thanks to all! :rock:

12. Samaya

Samaya Lion Country

Just watchout with EL lights. They tend to have really HIGH voltage on them. Depending on the size you could have anything from 12Vac to 200Vac (not much current) on the lamp. So PLEASE just be careful if you are going to use it (From experience they tend to bite hard...:blush:)

13. Sickbunny

Sickbunny What's a Dremel?

Subscribed, I love Tron so definitely looking forward to this mod!

14. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Very Very (VERY) Exiting !

15. pcclan

pcclan What's a Dremel?

nice concept hope too see it started soon

16. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Ok, got the acrylic parts list finalized, but before I send it off to the laser, I figured I should double check my measurements by making a 1/2-size model. I went back and rearranged some things to make room for fans and to facilitate better airflow.

Here's an overall look at the main acrylic parts. There are many more smaller pieces, spacers, and tubes that I didn't bother itemizing for the mockup.
    [​IMG]

First I thought I would print out a full-size outline of the bike with a picture of the motherboard in place.
    [​IMG]

Then I tested the 1:1 scale with an actual ATX board, and my qualifying product, a Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w power supply. :)
    [​IMG]

Final overall length is 38".

After getting a glimpse of the actual size, I proceeded to make the 1/2 size model. I only cut out the more important layers surrounding the components.
    [​IMG]

Peering down into the component area, you can see the lower IO plate.
    [​IMG]

The 1/2 size motherboard with two GTX580's in SLI: :D
    [​IMG]

The mobo and cards in place:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far so good. Looks like things might actually fit as hoped. I'll go through the parts one more time and add some cable pass-through's and tubing holes, then I can finally send it off. Next update will show the acrylic parts when I get them in. 'Til then!

17. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Theres something very nice on the way. *sits down and watches*

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Even the cardboard model looks awesome bro, you are going to rock with this mod!!!! :) Moar pls!!

19. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

This looks cool and it's very creative idea. Loving where this is heading

20. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Fat rendered 3D models are cool, but they just dont cut it compared to some good oldfashioned cardboard model madness. And that it will be madness is assured. Love it allready!
    ASPHIAX