1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Blowing 2010

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

9 million points. :thumb:

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Well done to Ph4ZeD, coolamasta, Pixelatedaddiction, Keith_Whi and darkorb for their great contribution to the team :)

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your kind words. I'm still unsure whether to continue with folding but I'm glad I've contributed thus far.

4. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

I feel a little bit left out Lizard. :sigh:

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Sorry Frank_Kehoe - it's been a long day benchmarking motherboards in the lab.

Congratulations for hitting 9 million points earlier today.

Ph4ZeD - don't give up now, folding is a great cause and is a fantastic way of making more use of your hardware than simply gaming/work .

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Yes, keep at it. You're still making a useful contribution (and overtaking 250 people per week).

7. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Ph4zed you've got a fresh attititue & I'm a suprised to see you loose interest so soon but I respect your decision either way. It's expensive.

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its not a question of interest - its my life situation that is making things tricky. I'm kind of limbo at the moment, living with my parents and waiting for the Met Police to call me up, and I feel a little guilty about the electricity factor. The reason I shot up the ranks so quickly is because I have 2x i7 920/930 CPUs, 2x 9600 GSOs, 1x 260 GTX and 1x E6750 to fold with :D

EDIT: I have returned to the fold :)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Marvelous :)

Which clients are you running on your rigs though? Those CPUs alone should generate around 10k ppd each with the A3 core SMP client.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I am running A3 SMP clients on the i7 rigs, but I'm having some issues with keeping a consistent PPD at the moment. Firstly, all my computers are in my room, so I only have them on during waking hours - although I plan to move my brothers computer into his room and leave it night and day folding, and his is i7 920 and 9600 GSO. However, I've had stability issues with his computer, sometimes I check on his folding progress and his computer has restarted with no folding progress made in a few hours, which is obviously frustrating as that rig could pull in 13-14K PPD alone. His computer is at stock but his case is a Fractal R2 with stock cooling, which is very poor thermally.

I've got another issue too - an intermitent problem with my internet. Its truly bizarre and has defied analysis thus far. Every now and then, the wired internet drops out (all my folding rigs are wired), and does not return. The only way to fix it is a restart of the router, which is in the loft. Interestingly, the wireless internet is not affected at all. This can bugger my folding efforts, for example, I left my computer folding when I went to work, it has i7 930/260 GTX/9600 GSO folding which is around 22K PPD. When I got back, all the clients had ceased folding as they had finished their work units and couldn't send their finished efforts or get new ones.

So in summary, theres a number of factors preventing me from turning my considerable computer power available into folding points :(

11. DrEv1l

DrEv1l What's a Dremel?

just broke 8 millon finally - woot!!!

12. Christopher N. Lew

Good decision :thumb:

13. Christopher N. Lew

Congratulations :rock:

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

With the next folding stats update, I should punch through 100,000 points :)

15. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Sorry to hear you're having so many technical problems Ph4ZeD - hopefully you'll be able to fix at least one rig with some extra case fans.

In case you need some help picking fans, we published this test a while ago.

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link mate. Cooling in my main rig is not an issue, nor is stability, its simply when the internet drops out that the problem begins. I've started serious efforts to isolate the crashing issue on my other i7 computer, I'm going to leave it overnight folding on just the CPU to see if the problem reoccurs to try to narrow it down.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

29 million last night (the next million will be hard as I'm down to a couple of machines running due to problems at work)

18. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

A great total, Saspro.

19. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Well done saspro - what's up with the rigs at work, anything I can help with?

20. saspro

saspro IT monkey

3 rigs are currently offline due to the heat they were producing. Out cooling method for the rigs & servers was to leave the skylite open a little and let convection do it's thing.
    There's been some shady characters looking round the office block so all windows are shut at night, so I have to leave them off to stop them boiling & causing the production servers overheating.

I'm going to use this as a chance to rebuild them, RMA any dead cards & get them ready for relocating