1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Blowing 2011

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by djzic, 4 Jan 2011.

1. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Tis bigbeta my dear boy, tis bigbeta :)

Not bad for a system that draws about 200W~ at the plug...

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

My biggest producer is a GTX260 that folds when not gaming (;) Coola). I also run a SMP client on my Phenom II X2 555 (@ 3.9 GHz core and 2.8 GHz IMC). Unfortunately it throws all sorts of errors when I unlock the extra cores.

Will get a second GTX260 next year for SLI or folding when the primary card is rendering Panzers and ISs (just got hooked by WoT). If budget permits, next year I'll also get a second-hand PhII X4 or X6. Zambezi turned out to be such a disappointment ... :duh:. To think that instead of going for a 2500K or at least an I3, I sold my Core2 Duo and MB, and got AM3+ MB and this X2 to use until Zambezi would have been released (<- future in the past used correctly here?). Lesson learned though, never bet on vaporware again!

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Any chance of a link to how you configured it all? I'm guessing you're in a VM where you've tricked the environment into thinking you've got 12 or more cores.

It was a real shame about Bulldozer. Still, at least you can pick up a cheap 8 core processor without having to bin off your entire rig. Fingers crossed for you that this rumored MS Patch improves things a little. I'd love to see AMD turn out a truly server class chip that tops the performance charts. Something with 16-24 cores, but I fear that based on what they've shown with Bulldozer that they've some way to go before that becomes a commercial reality, and in the meantime they'll be scrapping over lower margin, mass produced chips that can only really compete on a price point basis. Real shame is that we lose out as no-one is pushing the market leader, only their own R&D cycle, which I've got to applaud Intel for.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Just hit my first million. I should be able to make a million every month, now I finally got a GTX570 folding :)

5. Tattysnuc

Are you not folding on the CPU? That's got to be worth 30kppd on it's own if it's the one in your signature!

6. debs3759

Yes, I'm folding on the CPU, using the default settings in v7 beta. I'm getting approx 20K ppd on the CPU and 15K on the gpu.

Are there flags that would get me a higher ppd on the CPU and/or GPU? I'm not going to attempt bagadv as I never got many when I did try thatand I know in a few weeks they will be for 16 thread systems only.

7. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Hy debs, try using 'smp 7' flag to only use 7 cores and dedicate 1 to the GPU. Otherwise just try stopping your gpu to see what the points difference is. Also get the CPU folding on Linux ( in vmware) for an extra few K ppd.

8. debs3759

The NVidia cards use negligible CPU time. The GPU is at 99% while it's folding, and while both are folding the CPU core is using 99% of the processor. So no bottlenecks from smp 8 or the gpu.

With my old AMD card (I need to update my sig!) I did have to give the gpu a cpu core, but it didn't the points difference was next to nothing.

I am planning a reinstall over the next few days, and have downloaded VMware vSphere Hypervisor (it runs before the OS, lets you run your VMs without a host OS). I'm going to give it a try, now need to resesarch how best to allocate resources :)

9. debs3759

I added "client-type advanced" to both slots, and now am getting 45-50K on the CPU and around 18K on the gpu.

10. Tattysnuc

So what does your list of switches now read?

is it:

C:\Users\...\FAH6.34-win32-SMP.exe -verbosity 9 -smp 8 -advmethods

11. debs3759

I use v7 beta, and the only switch I added was client-type advanced, which I added to both slots.

I'm also now trying out smp 7 to see if that makes a difference when I'm doing other stuff like browsing and photoshop.

12. Tattysnuc

Woohoo - 4milllion points (again), and 9th in the producers list.

Has anyone got a definitive guide to get bigbeta running, preferably using virtualbox instead of vmware?

13. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

It might be worth starting a separate thread for this as it should generate quite a bit of interest.

14. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

10,000,000 points:rock:.

15. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Nice Milestone :thumb:

(PS There's now a "Trumpet Blowing 2012" thread created by Votick)