1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TV Update will brick 20,000 set-top boxes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Sep 2009.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well actually some of the over-the-air updates that were sent out to some boxes (including the type I own) did give you a device that wouldn't come out of standby thereafter. Apparently EchoStar have been reasonably good about taking these back and forcibly re-ned-ucating them on a test bench, but I suspect they'll have quite a few back after today. Mine, for instance, which for some reason never got the update. Possibly because I so rarely watch TV.

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Nope about 20,000 will not work at all, no channels, nada.

"about 20,000 older set-top boxes will cease to work" via BBC

I think bricked is the right word - the hardware is fine but the software/BIOS/firmware whatever is dead meaning the device is a brick ie worthless slab just sitting there not able to do anything!

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I seem to have lost 5 on my HTPC, but I'll give it a few days for the EPG/frequency lists/tuner drivers to update and the box to reboot before I moan about it.

4. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

fairly new tv so my update worked like a dream. FINALLY no more of those blooming popup messages i've been getting all week - THEY were the biggest pain in the butt over all this

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I almost wish my TV got bricked. Tuning went through fine on the Bravia, missing channels reappear and then the we*anycar advert came on. I hate that advert with great fervour. Can't hit the off button fast enough.

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Got drafted into helping family and friends of family retune their TVs and Freeview recorders yesterday, my final Freeview box is one that demands a reload of the EPG every time it's plugged and unplugged so retuning's actually quicker. First thing that popped up? The bleedin' retuning message (though at the bottom of the screen this time). Still, it's over with until next time.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

You can get a freeview settopbox for 10pounds in the UK?
    Can I hook it to a sattelite dish and get BBC in the rest of europe?

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

We lost ITV3 but found it again. Its on channel 401 for whatever reason. We also can't switch from 24 upward unless we type in the next channel for whatever reason lol

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Cheapest I've seen and bought myself was £15, but they sometimes get that cheap in sales.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Technically yes, if you want to get a 1.3m dish at least.

11. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

I was all "what the hell is he talking about" until I remembered this is a UK website. When it's all text there's no accents to remind you so it's easy to forget!

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

No, because Freeview isn't broadcast by satellites. And you wouldn't be paying the license fee.

No, but we spell things correctly. Like "flavour" for instance.

13. perplekks45

As if it was hard to get Sky UK outside the UK...

14. dav999

dav999 What's a Dremel?

I have to say, I think it a disgrace that the powers that be can just arbitrarily decide that so many set top boxes are redundant. OK, for most people, they will be stand-alone boxes, but what if, in future, they pull this stunt again and it affects digital tuners embedded in other devices like TV DVD Combi sets or HDD recorders?

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Would there be a case for the product not being fit for the purpose it was bought therefore the manufacturer would have to "fix" it

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Nono...not Sky..BBC ;-)

The lisence fee in Germany is so high i should get Radio Bejing for all I care :(

Besides, German TV is broadcast (by sattelite) and free to receive all over europe without you guys paying for it, so why shouldn't I watch BBC in return?

17. perplekks45

A 1.2m satellite dish is needed to receive BBC in Vienna. Further south it's a bit closer to 3m.
    Then again, if I ever need help I'll just ask a couple of people who work for the UN and they'll sort it out. There's always someone at the UN to sort out things like that. :D

18. Xir

Xir Modder

I live at the same latitude as London, so that might help reduce dish size ;-)

Tags: Add Tags