1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Unboxing the Asus Eee PC 900

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Apr 2008.

1. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

looks miles better with the big screen but just how long till they're atom equipped?

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

God how i do want an EEE, But as suggested above, im waiting for the Atom version. Lower power requirements. Also, remember that this is NOT a gaming laptop. Its for communications and basic office tasks with surfing the net. You do not need a powerful UBER computer for that.
    I currently have a perfectly good IBM T20 as my travel partner (feel the speed of 700Mhz intel P3) and it does the job, for now. But its starting to fall apart (litterally! ) and it wont last forever.

OH, and black is sexy :p

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Later in the year I reckon. Maybe Computex (I doubt it), but more likely September or so.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

When will I be able to get one in the UK?

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

1st may is the official launch date :)

We hear eBuyer will be getting fairly decent stock ready for the launch. But all the usual suspects should be okay.

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

meh, for that money id rather have the hp mini-note/2133. Aside from the cpu pretty much every single spec is better, it looks a lot nicer, and is cheaper! (299 for the basic model)
    Tho im saving my monies till the full specs of the msi wind are released. supposedly is going to have a 10" screen, intel atom, and a 7 hour battery life!

7. dslickness

dslickness What's a Dremel?

Whoa, now you got me hooked =D. Thats a good deal. Finally bumped up the res, storage and ram. I'd go and buy it hehe.

Now that processor mod from before would really be worth the time. Of course it would kill the battery.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

sold!

just wish it's 2GB...... any chance you can tell me it's upgradable to 2GB RAM?

9. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

I just bought a 4G version and it is at my door today.

10. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who is utterly uninterested in these things? Tiny keyboard, tiny screen, an underclocked crapelon processor... What's the appeal? It's small, so it's harder to type and you have less screen space to work with? I just don't get it.

11. echostrike

echostrike What's a Dremel?

dude--overclocking the original eee could not be easier--since one of the first offical bios's had the switch b/t 630mhz and the full 900mhz built in. All you have to do it boot into the bios screen and choose between max performance & max battery life, and the core voltage and mhz will be automatically set. Hasnt crashed once for me (running an nlited version of xp). Just search around on eeeuser.com and you'll find what i mean.

12. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Portability. I didn't realise quite how small it was until I saw it in the flesh. It made my 12" sub-notebook look massive by comparison. :)

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

As oasked says, it's about the portability and the fact you don't have to pay through the nose to get that portability - it's not a machine that you'd use as your main machine of course, but it's pretty good for when you're on the move. :)

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Plus battery life. For me, mobility and battery life is a clear win - perfect for press trips or liveblogging.

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

huh? the battery life isnt great tbh

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and don't forget being green.

i am currently using a q6600+8800GTX to program a simple AVR C code. it's using up more than 150w of power idle, and i don't need even 2% of it's processing power. i only need a text editor, even a 486 would be good enough.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well I already get ~2.5hrs with my MBP with the WiFi on (and 99% of the time, a laptop without WiFi is useless to me when I'm on battery). Of course it's four times the size and probably three times the weight, but I already own it too.

18. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Amen. DO WANT.

They've basically released a model that takes care of the only gripes I had. :D

19. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

I really want one, but we haven´t even got the 700 series here yet I wonder how long we have to wait on this one, or Ill just have to import it ;)

20. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

WANT!

And a bigger battery, upgraded processor, GPS, Bluetooth, Touch-Screen, Solar panel on the back of the lid, Fingerprint reader, extra storage, memory card reader(s), that kind of thing.

Tags: Add Tags