1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling URGENT WATER COOLING HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam12301, 9 Feb 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I think it's also worth noting that not everyone has the same finger strength and finger tight is a pretty loose definition.

So I think using a tool like Pete posted is fine for the last few turns.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I have a dirty mind.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I've never cut tubes, the times when I tightened the nut using fingers alone was the time when I had leaks so to be perfectly blunt I don't give a flying pig's ass what links you post or whatever names u want to drop to convince me.

Tightening a barb thread by hand is retarded end of. You are actually increasing the chances of coolant leak because a fitting that is tightened by hand can easily untighten just be pressure on the tube when fitting or moving a part. It's so incredibly stupid I can't even find words!

Now... if it's your mission to tell everyone that you're super smart while my advice should be ignored... carry on... don't let me stop you. All I will say is that I personally have had enough of you so end of.

To whom it may concern...

PTFE can be used where necessary. It is not necessary to use on the short nut section of a hose barb unless there's a problem with the o-ring. However, it can be used even there so long as it's kept away from the bottom edge.

It comes down to common sense really.

Any o-ring nozzle should be tightened a little more than you'd manage with fingers alone. That's the reason they have a spanner fitting. They should be lightly turned with a spanner to compress the rubber and get a GOOD SEAL and to prevent them UNTIGHTENING EASILY!!!!

I don't care what tool is used, but fingers alone are not sufficient!

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

meh, what is the point in taking a personal affront.

In this hobby, I have asked, listened and given all kinds of advice and still messed up or broken stuff. If there are any that have been playing with computer tech for 5 or more years and not broken or messed something up you are very very lucky.

Trial and error, there is no substitute. Ask for advice sure, but it can still go wrong and there will be differing opinions.

If feathers has found a way that works for him, then fair enough. Might work for OP, might not. That is what I find.

6. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

I think my mind was right where yours was :thumb:

goes and gets a Baby Boa Strap Wrench

weak fingers.

7. Apocalypso

I only every use my fingers and PTFE tape, once you get a feel for how far your fittings need to be screwed in I think you'll be surprised how little extra effort is needed.

My dad always says "Tight is tight, over tight is bust".

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Sounds like someone who stripped a few heads in his time...

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Both those statments sound dirty... :p

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I was being serious but yes, I see your point. Keep it in your trousers.

:lol:

11. Apocalypso

I feel a mixture of pride and shame.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Maybe I should go loosen some of my fittings, then, I did rather attack those with a wrench... Not much more than finger tight, but enough to ensure the bloody thing wouldn't spin the fittings out when I was putting the compression on the hoses.

Side note; The Phobya Balancer is fine so long as you're using 3/8" fittings. It'll seal then, it will fail if you're using 1/4" due to the larger diameter. Same way I can't fit 1/4" fittings on my CPU block & NB block too, due to size restrictions.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

If they were tightened rather hard with a wrench then perhaps you should. I think a good method is to tighten it fully with your hand and then give it a quick tug with your wrench. You will find that feels much better than using your fingers alone.

If anyone has the strength to tighten well with fingers then that is ok I guess but for me I prefer to use my tool.

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Basically what I did. I already had one leak where I didn't tighten one fitting enough, then it got span around when I was applying the compression to the damn hose.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Exactly! That's why it's so important to tighten properly.

It's common sense really but common sense is often uncommon.

:)