1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News USB 3.0 to get 10Gb/s transfer rate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I don't need this. I need the higher power USB they said was coming. (I mean, I'll take faster, but I'm unlikely to use the full speed very often, whereas I can see using the higher power on a daily basis. I look forward to replacing every socket in the house with usb ports, lol.)

2. atomo

atomo What's a Dremel?

My bad, I see now that it is. I suppose it's going to be another interface pissing match. TB has the ability to go to an optical transfer method rather than using copper so that will probably double the speed again, if not more.

I s'pose they both have their respective uses, though. It's most likely they will do well side-by-side, as was USB 2 and Firewire...

Derp, derp, the term I was looking for was "full-duplex" and yes, USB 3 has that too.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jan 2013
  3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

MOOT, damnit. The point isn't silent, it's irrelevant. (I don't always grammar nazi, but when I do, it's over mute vs. moot)

Anyway, on topic. I think Intel shot themselves in the face with the Apple exclusivity agreement. With still such a comparatively small piece of the market, TB was limited from the outset. It's been a good, long while since I've heard jack about TB. That it used to be big news when there was a new TB device released was, in and of itself, a bad sign.

I see it going the same way FireWire did (in which case it was absolutely Apple shooting themselves in the face with their ridiculous licensing fees) - it will have its niche, but it will never go mass-market. This is FW vs USB all over again. That is, I'll respectively disagree with atomo - FW was never all that successful. Sure, everybody has a FW port or two even now, but for the most part, they're used on DAWs and video desks.

If it can get widespread enough appeal that cables aren't $50/ea (not entirely the Apple tax, either - they have tuned ICs at each end, so it's a bit more than a dumb pipe), and the Scan/Newegg/Amazon start carrying enclosures and external drives with eSATA/USB/TB interfaces, sure. But those $999, empty, RAID racks? Outside of semi- and pro a/v people, how many of those are going to sell? I would take advantage if it didn't cost more than USB 3 (and I'd be just fine with 5 Gb, personally), but I can't see specifically seeking it out.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, Super Speed is the name given to USB 3.0 5Gb/s (peak) hardware, to differentiate it from USB 1.1 Low Speed 1.5Mb/s, USB 1.1 Full Speed 12Mbs and USB 2.0 High Speed 480Mb/s. If you've a keen eye, you may notice that Full Speed is significantly slower than High Speed. Welcome to the wonderful world of USB naming conventions.

The chances are they'll call it Super Speed+, Hyper Speed, MegaUltraOMGLookItMa Speed or something at launch. Or just call it Super Speed and watch as the sheep buy 5Gb/s hardware by mistake.

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Whatever they decide, although sometimes it does keep one interested in the goings on, everything is so industry driven these days to a point all they do is put consumers out of joint. Ok, so thunderbolt is quicker than current USB 3.0. In the same way FireWire was over USB 2.0.

That worked out nicely. All I'm thinking now is that I have a sub standard motherboard with a first draft USB controller. :D

Can't wait to try out a 10gb/s external drive. /sarc