1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V USB Freeview HD tuners for PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ipub, 1 May 2011.

1. ipub

ipub What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody.

I'm really struggling to find solid info on DVB-T2 tuners and would appreciate it if anybody could fill in some blanks.

From what I understand, if I want to record TV on my PC in the UK, I need a DVB-T Tuner, If I want to record multiple channels I'll need one tuner per channel ie dual.

Leading on from this, freeview HD is ONLY supported by DVB-T2, despite the claims of some HD DVB-T sticks. If this is true, I'm more confused as to why, since HD freeview has been in my area for about two years, why can't seem to find a dual USB tuner anywhere! :waah:

Have I missed something here?

Richey

2. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

I don't think there is a dual USB DVB-T2 tuner at the moment but there is a PCI-E dual T2 tuner by Blackgold and possibly one other company. Bit expensive though.

I use the PCTV 290e Nanostick and it works brilliantly with Windows Media Center.

Considering the time the technology has been around and the signal has been broadcast it surprises me too but there you go. Maybe once all the transmitters in the UK stoff faffing about with Analogue switchovers and just get it done we'll see more hardware and choice forcing prices down.

So far having a single tuner hasn't been an issue for me as we don't watch much besides F1, Doctor Who and a few other things. If I were to find an issue I might consider a second USB device or just a cheap DVB-T tuner to run alongside the T2, if that would be possible.

And just to confirm you will need DVB-T2, anything that isn't T2 won't work despite what sellers say.

3. sense2

sense2 What's a Dremel?