1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Using bicycle helmet cameras?

Discussion in 'General' started by bigsharn, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not sure where this whole speed thing came from. Usually though, cars go faster than bikes.. unless it's city traffic, which causes other problems, because then cyclists are invariably breaking the law by undertaking you.

If I can in time, of course I will back off and leave room, I'm not a psycho! My point however, was that if you are having trouble keeping your bike under control because of the road surface... GTFO the road! LOL Clearly it's not safe for you to be there. You can't seriously expect everyone to accommodate your wobbling, weaving ad falling off.. just to make a point. If the road's that crap, dismount until it's better.

It's possible to walk there and then walk back with it balanced on my head, but I'm not going to do that either :)

No. First, Even though technically you can LEGALLY pass her on the inside if in a cycle, lane, you still shouldn't... because she was indicating left.. she was WARNING you that she was turning left. You should have stayed well back from her.

At the speed she was driving, it was adequate warning. You decided to not stay back, and rode right up behind her to what must have been 2 feet or less.. then complained when she braked to turn left. LOL Under those circumstances, if she braked hard for ANY reason, it would have been your fault for hitting her. You were too close.

You were wrong.

Not if you are as close as you were to that red Seat! LOL

In a way it is, as you are using your helmet cam to video people, put them on youtube, and give their registration numbers, when in a great many of the cases, they've done nothing wrong, and it is YOU that's in the wrong. I;d say this is all very relevant, and perhaps a reason why cycle cams are NOT a great idea... especially as cyclists are so militant about anything on 4 wheels.

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

So you're suggesting that if there's wet weather, to dismount and walk? Of course, for the road to actually dry out it'll take a couple hours so that's not exactly feasible is it?

You clearly didn't read what I put, so let me try again.

She wasn't indicating until 3 car lengths from the turning itself.
    I was 8 car lengths from the junction when I went up her inside, because the knob behind wasn't letting me in behind her.
    In those remaining car lengths I tried pulling in behind, but it wasn't until she started indicating when I managed to actually get in behind her.

:read:
    I complained when she didn't check her mirrors. I try to catch eye contact with people in front of me, so they know that I exist. As I said, I can stop on a dime at that sort of pace.

Fixed that for you.

I'm militant about anyone that comes within an arm's reach of twatting me, motorised or otherwise.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am a cyclist and I think most cyclists are awful on the road. Drives me nuts how many people ride on the road and not on the cyclepath combined with the pavement.

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

And that was exactly my point: if I so choose to do something stupid, putting my life at risk, so be it as it is my choice to make. However, for you to do the same from the seat of a car, wherein the worst damage that will happen to you if my life is taken would be a bit of scratching, or a slight dent, then it is a bit of a different situation. If a cyclist brushes up against your vehicle whilst passing by their own actions, then it is their stupidity that is putting their own life at risk, and they assume all danger involved. By you doing the same in a vehicle to them you are effectively taking their lives in your hands, forcing them into a situation that you would not want to be in personally. Consider the situation through another persons eyes before you judge.

It seems to me of a failed system when caution is treated as the incorrect choice whilst at the wheel of a three thousand pound vehicle. If driving ten to fifteen percent under the speed limit is incorrect or unlawful, then I am well glad I do not currently hold an operators license for a motor vehicle. Though during my year of driving (with most of my miles put in on highways) I never once got pulled over by the police, despite my "undue hesitancy".

A few years ago my ex and I decided to purchase a house, and first and foremost on our list was a property within reasonable distance to where we needed to shop for groceries, and our work places (present and future), so we planned ahead and bought in a sensible area with good access to public transport and roughly centre to where either of us could expect to work within the city (no more than 30km away from the furthest potential work place - easily commutable via bike). I'm unsure as to what your priorities were upon purchase of your house, but if you're happy where you are then fantastic! I'm not trying to say that commuting over a long distance is bad, merely that you had many other options and chose the one you did, so now you are stuck with exorbitant bills every month for your vehicles (and for the record: I love mustangs, though only the older ones), with them as your only option for getting to your place of work. By no means do I expect you to up and sell at a moments notice, but rather I am pointing out how you've made a decision that has massively limited you in your mobility to only one form of reasonable transport and has drastically raised your monthly costs as a result. If your happy with this then there is nothing I can say to it - it is your life after all, and you are the one that has to live it.

I don't question it! Beyond stating that if you had planned your life out differently the Micra would be superfluous at best, freeing up your time spent behind the wheel entirely to the unadulterated joy of the Mustang. Rather than spending a good few hours behind the wheel of a little ****-box every week lamenting the roads and other users of it, you could spend 100% of your driving time behind the wheel of your Mustang on back roads, loving every minute of it. Nothing you've stated within this thread would lead me to believe you enjoy a single moment of city driving within the Micra, so why are you so adamant to continue as such? But anyway, what I am really trying to do is to give you a window into another lifestyle, not force one onto you, so please do take what I write under such consideration. I've no issue with you on a personal level, I assure you. :)

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The problem with biking to work is that some of us actually have to be presentable in a suit whenever we get there and there might not be suitable facilities for showering and as such it is much easier to go by car. It would be easy to commute the daily 20 km's to Copenhagen from where I live and sure it would be healthy for me. The problem is I cannot spend 40 minutes riding there and then 30 minutes getting ready for work. This including having to change into a suit (which will be full of wrinkles after being bounced around in a pannier).

6. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

It does not matter how far from the junction she is when she starts indicating - she was in front of you and indicating so you should act accordingly. If that means stopping, so be it but getting even closer to her is not the appropriate action.

Now I'm intrigued as to how you know she didn't check her mirrors. Were you watching her so intently that you'd have seen her eyes flick to the mirrors? Also why do you need to pass her? You've complained about cars "needing to pass" but you're doing the same thing here.

It would have been much safer for you to back off when she started indicating, giving her enough room to turn (which she already had) rather than getting closer, trying to pass, in a dangerous manner.

What were you indicating and how were you doing it? You were going straight on at the junction so why do you feel the need to indicate?

By the way, have you found an explanation for jumping the red light in the other video, yet?

7. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Pedestrians dont want me on the pavement and i dont want to be there either. If i hit someone it would be quite a lot like being hit by a scooter for them.

Cycle lanes are ok when they arent full of crap that has been blown into them by passing traffic. If there were any on my commute id use them (~17.5mph average on 28mm 100 psi tires). Cycle lanes when out on a training ride using 23mm 120/125 psi tubs on 303s... Doesnt really matter as there arent any on my usual bash out to the Cotswolds.

I've said it before, wear a camera if you want to prosecute the **** that actually knocks you off your bike. Be conscientious to other road users (even if it is a bit of SCR), and leave yourself enough space to get out of the brown sticky if someone else drops you right in it. Exactly the same way as you would behave when driving, oddly enough.

If its of any interest to anyone ive been in 3 accidents this year when cycling. (my only 3 crashes ever - not been a good year!)

1) My fault, moving quickly, glanced down at the big dog.

2) Her fault, SMIDSY pulled out in front

3) Deliberately knocked off, driver did not stop ofc

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think this is the best example of my point.

Even if cyclists had to register and pay road tax and whatever, these same people above would still behave in the exact same way.

Look at cars speeding, council applies a lower limit, the people who sped and caused accidents with the previous limit, will still speed with the lower limit, they don't care.

No matter what you do, there will still always be morons on the road, be it cyclists, motorists or pedestrians, they'll always be there, and there's nothing you can do about it. Just avoid them as best you can, and then laugh at them when they get hit running red lights, :D :D

9. bigsharn

Watch the video, as soon as she hits the brakes I do the same and move across her back.

As I said above, I try to make eye contact with people so they know for a fact I'm there. It sounds strange but it works for anticipating people's moves

Passing her was the safest way to get out of the situation. Had I stopped I would have done so in the cycle lane, been on the inside of traffic and risked still being knocked off.

...as I tried to.

For the third time this thread. I wasn't trying to pass her on the inside.

1. I was indicating to go on the OUTSIDE of the woman in the Seat.
    2. The **** behind me probably wouldn't have let me out if he thought I was going in the same direction as him, indicating (as I said above) was the easiest way out of the situation.

And I was indicating in the same manner that I should think every cyclist does, by sticking my arm out to 90 degrees in the direction I wanted to turn...

I have. I was being a sheep and cocked up. I stand corrected when I said I never jump a red light. It's now that I rarely jump a red light.

Seriously, if you're going to ask questions at least see if I've already answered them.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you can't even keep your bike in a straight line, and are at risk of falling off it, yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting.

After she indicated, you close up on her again, to within a couple of feet, even though she was indicating left. You should have known she would need to brake in order to turn, yet despite this, went right up to her within touching distance and then complain when she brakes. Even if she had checked her mirror (or not), what does it matter. What would you want her to do?

That was stupid, and if she had to slam on for something, you'd have gone right into the back of her, and it would have been your fault.

What does it actually matter? You were inches from her rear bumper, what would you like her to do after she checks her mirrors? Besides, from your vantage point (remember, it's a head cam) you can't see where she is looking immediately before turning left... not that it would make any difference anyway with you glued to her rear bumper.

Not sure that fixed sentence makes any sense. I stand my the sentence as I wrote it thank you very much.

Does that include the driver of that red Seat who YOU rode up to of your own free will?

Sometimes, there's only an arm's reach to spare. If not, then fine, but you can't just ride around tearing into everyone who gets in your way. You don't own the road, but your videos would suggest that you think you do.

I can't agree more. I don't think I ever disagreed. I always give cyclists room if I can. If not, I'll either stay behind, or pass very slowly keeping my eye on them. Sometimes, you just have to pass or cause a massive tailback.

I fail to see the problem. If there is no reason not to do 30mph, you should do 30 mph. If you are driving along at 24mph for no good reason when visibility is good, traffic light, and no hazards in evidence, then yes a policeman will probably pull you over to see why. You wouldn't get prosecuted for anything, but he would assume you were being overly cautious for a reason - drunk, ill, visually impaired.. whatever. You WOULD however, fail a driving test for going to slow, yes.

Brilliant.. with one flaw. I already lived here when I got the job. You on the other hand already had your job when you decided to buy a house. When I moved in here, I was a freelance photographer that doesn't "work" in any one particular place, and therefore it was irrelevant where I lived. I have since changed career. I can't change my home every time I change my job. If I rented, maybe, but not now.

If there was an alternative, I would take it. However, there is not... not a practical one anyway. I could cycle to work, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages far too much.

11. bigsharn

I wasn't anywhere near within touching distance, there was easily a good 3ft between wheel and bumper when she braked to turn. The brief time that I was getting closer to her car was as she was making the turn, at which point I braked harder and you can just about see this in the video. As far as she's aware I'm still on her left hand side, because she never checked her mirror as I said, and I'd have gone under the wheels. Not that I would be stupid enough to stay on her inside, but there are plenty of folk out there that would be.

I could see where she was looking via her rear view mirror.

Again, I wasn't in arm's reach.

12. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

TL;DR

But browsing through bigsharns youtube channel, I think he should be banned from the road.

13. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I didn't read this thread as I saw multi-quote posts. They are an indicator of pedantry in arguments.

My only question is, Where are the video's which are entertaining and/or involve harm?

mvagusta likes this.
  14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

There are a number of them on page 2 of this thread.

I used to be a cyclist (12 or so years ago) who commuted every day to work. At the time is was practical for me to do so. I used to ride through areas of heavy industrial traffic (I worked in transport) with trucks going right past me quite closely. I followed the road rules and rode sensibly. Now my work doesn't allow me to do this (apprentice electrician with a vehicle full of tools and ladder). I see so many cyclists who are arrogant and have no regard for the road rules. The worst offenders are wannabe cycling teams riding in packs. They're down right dangerous.

Also cycling isn't for everyone. I live in Queensland Australia and it gets hot here. Damn hot. Even a short cycle to work at 7.00 in the morning can leave you dripping with sweat. If your workplace doesn't have showering facilities (and really how many do?) I'd be reeking like a pig before I even started my day. This would't really endear me to my co-workers.

Cameras I think are a good thing. Maybe everyone should have one in whatever type of vehicle they have. To combat the "YouTube speed limit high score" videos, maybe they should be the type that only record the 30 seconds before and after a crash is detected.

mvagusta likes this.
  15. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Cameras are indeed a good thing.

It's obvious for anyone to see when people drive poorly, or when it's simply an arrogant rider, as is exactly the case as shown in each of the videos within this thread.

Your responses OP, only confirn your arrogance.
    The cyclist who crashed into me was at fault, and deserved the fine.

When I ride or drive, I don't try to cause accidents, or get upset when others are travelling safely. Riders like you give the rest of us a bad name, you have no respect for other road users, and no respect for yourself - this is why you often put yourself at risk. For example, tailgating so close that you have no time to react should somone need to brake sudenly.

If you keep it up, soon enough you'll be killed or seriously injured, if you're lucky it will only be having that little horn shoved up your a$$.

16. bigsharn

So by cycling (for the mostpart) safely, and according to what I was taught in Advanced cycling proficiency, and according to Cyclecraft... I'm an arrogant rider?

I don't try to cause accidents, I try to prevent them and if I'm in a situation that could turn bad, I try and get out as quick as possible.

And I'm sure that the cyclist did deserve a fine, I was replying to one of Pookeyhead's posts about being unable to identify cyclists and them never getting caught for doing stupid stuff.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm not going to get into this thread I see enough stupidy from both drivers and cycist to get involved however I think this bears repeating.

You know though if all drivers had to sit a test and get a licence and insurance then I'm sure the roads would be a lot safer, there would be no hit and runs the number of deaths on the roads would plummet... Oh wait....

18. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

You're deemed to be an arrogant rider not because of Cyclecraft but because you're denouncing innocent drivers, posting videos online of their "mistakes" but being oblivious to your own.

You're also arrogant for dismissing any part of the Highway Code that gives advice but stops short of instruction. You, obviously, know better.

mvagusta likes this.
  19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Playing chicken isn't exactly doing your best to avoid accidents.
    As stated in your own comment for that video, you sure could have waited, but no, you chose to play chicken, which is perfectly fine, as there was enough room for you to slot in.

So why insult someone who was simply driving safely?
    If anything you should have thanked them for giving you more space than they did to the parked car.

Personally, I don't like to put my life completely in the hands of strangers, so in a situation like this, I would have slowed down a tad. For a mere couple of seconds, I'm completely in the clear. If I didn't want to slow down, I would much rather be a bit of a rebel and hop up on the footpath to avoid the upcoming squeeze, than to be a much bigger rebel by playing chicken with oncoming cars, hoping that they notice me and manage to avoid me.

What if that oncoming silver car was texting, and didn't see you coming? You wouldn't know until the moment before they hit you, and the resulting crash could easily be fatal or leave you seriously handicapped. It's the difference between riding to live, or living to ride.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Without reading the whole thread, two things pop out.

In ^^ this example, if you were uncomfortable, you should have slowed down once you realised the car driver wasn't going to stop and give way. You had plenty of time to shave a couple of mph off and increase the safety margin, the car driver was obviously happy for you both to pass at the same time. It might've been a bit tight, but even at the closest point there was room for both of you looking at the video.

Secondly I'll say keep it as friendly as possible here folks - bicyclists and car drivers rub each other up the wrong way a great deal, mostly because they don't understand each other imo. I'm lucky enough to have done both and have never had any problems with either cyclists or drivers while doing the opposite, but there's clearly some deep-seated hatred going on here.