Networks Using router as WiFi repeater

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PortalBen, 1 Mar 2015.

1. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

Hi all,

Due to some issues with my wireless signal, I've decided to use my router (Edimax BR-6574N) as a WiFi repeater with my Super Hub 2. Unfortunately, this has not gone well. I've followed the instructions in the manual perfectly, but when I switch the Edimax to universal repeater mode it creates a new, unsecured network. I can connect to this but I can't use the Internet. According to network and sharing center I'm connected t the internet with no problems, yet I can't load any webpages. The status of the wireless network connection says that 'No Internet access' for IPv6 connectivity. I've tried disabling IPv6 in properties but this hasn't made a difference either.

I should note that at no point have I been asked to enter the password for the Virgin Media network I'm trying to connect to. Could this be the part of the problem? I've also tried using the Edimax in station infrastructure mode as well and this also does not work.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions at all on this one so that I can finally use the Internet properly!

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited: 1 Mar 2015
  2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

What you need to do is put your SuperHub into modem mode (instructions). Then plug a cable from the LAN1 port (the one closest to where the cable connection goes in) into the WAN port on the Edimax.
    Then connect to the Edimax via LAN or wireless. The Edimax should default to the right settings (General Setup > WAN > Dynamic IP) and you should be able to hit the internet at this point.
    Then you can setup the WiFI on the Edimax as you like, don't forget that the cable between the Superhub and the Edimax can be up to 100m, so you can move the Edimax into the position in your house that covers all the rooms.
    Hope that helps.

3. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

I'm afraid I can't use the SuperHub in modem mode with the Edimax as the primary router because the Edimax router doesn't provide a high enough data transfer rate for my devices (I get ~27mb/s instead of 60-150mb/s). Thanks very much for taking the time to answer though.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Ah, so you just want to use the Edimax as a range extender?
    Right, I've re-read you post and now I understand what you're trying to do (I'd not heard the term Universal Repeater before).
    As far as I can tell, the Edimax isn't connecting to the Virgin wireless network. Have you set up the security on the Edimax to replicate the Virgin network? (it's on a different page to the Universal Repeater setup) It's not mentioned in the manual but I think it's what you're missing.

Bear in mind that in repeater mode you'll get half the speed you would connecting directly to the Superhub at best, but having a stronger signal might help mitigate that.

5. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

That was exactly what it was, I felt sure it was something to do with the security settings. I maanged to get it sorted by following this guide. Thanks for your help mate.