1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop: I knew I should have asked gigabyte for some help :D, that is awesome of gigabyte to sponsor you with such a rocking mobo, congrats :rock:.

Included you in my vote pick too, it's turning out saaweeet :D keep it up ASPHIAX :clap:.

Oh & +rep +5 stars +subbed :D.

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thansk man, coming from you , I consider that a real compliment!
    Always looking forward on updates on your Sors Salutis, one of my fav's!

3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thank you!

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks Waynio :thumb:, getting the sponsors is also a good push to complete it asap. I know myself a little bit and I am already brainstorming for the next build. That might get me so exited about that, that I just start building it at cost of time spent on the EURISKO. :nono:

Thansk for the words and the votes. It is close that it is killing me with suspence :lol:

5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Ok, here is the report of todays work.
    Going snowboarding this weekend so no major updates this weekend, sorry

There were some new goodies from :
    [​IMG]
    The Life support system has arrived ! Beautifull Alu NorthQ 92 mm fans[​IMG]

And what will be a much used piece of tooling soon (I hope ...)
    Phobya Molex Kit[​IMG]

It has to become something like this
    [​IMG]

Quick fitting session as the rad's needs to be placed on the inside also
    [​IMG]

Another fitting session
    [​IMG]

Some holes in mdf .. (needs to be cut to correct size though...)
    [​IMG]

And a quick fitting session to make sure it is in line with the model. Fitting and trying stuff on the model is something i do quite a lot and has prevented me from some major mistakes.
    [​IMG]

Need to cut a piece of silver mesh for the ouside alos.
    [​IMG]

Sunk the MDF into the bottom saucer
    [​IMG]

And then there was light !
    [​IMG]

Agent Mulder : Look Scully, a UFO !
    [​IMG]

Total view. The fans are now at Warp 10 so the leds will dim quite a bit at a comfortable warp 5.
    [​IMG]

Put a ledstrip into the model just to check it out. Even though the effect is funny and maybe usefull for another build (dropped into idea box) it is offcourse not what i would like for this build. The light pollution is heavy due to the thin layer of foam and epoxy is transparant by nature so ... That are going to be a lot of filling and airbrush layers !
    [​IMG]

The DCIM's will be covered with a black piece (strip actually) of mesh. Picture the blue glowing from behind the mesh and you got what i want to achieve. Will cut a piece tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Thansk and ....
    Dont forget to vote !

6. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

7. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

I'm not a huge fan of theme mods, but this one is really cool. Lots of hard work as well :thumb: you got one of my votes, good luck :D

8. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Hehe... a few more of those fans and this thing will hover around the room :p Looks great! :D

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

^

Lol, I was going to say it looks like you've solved where to put it, just have it flying around the room.

Looking nice.

Envious of the snowboarding though, although I'm a skier (I prefer to go down the mountains rather than just sit on my backside in baggy pants :)).

10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Well even though the glow lines look very cool, they were not intended! I knew the verticals would become bleeders but i hadnt anticipated the horizontal ones. (i actually played with the idea to do all the vertical ones with mesh but that would destroy the structural stiffness of the canope. The previous foto's didnt show the biggest bleeder!
    Starship with sunroof anyone?
    [​IMG]

The Epoxy/glass layer dries transparantly. This is made of 6 layers of 160 grams glass with a 2 cm thick layer Epoxy. Virtually indestructable.

To talk about structural stiffnes of the model here are some more details.
    The Canope is made of about 1 cm layer of XPS foam (they make spoilers for race cars out of this stuff) , thick filling layer (ok, not as thick everywhere, see the bleeding light effect) and several layers of 160 grams glassfiber with epoxy on the inside and outside.

I think together these 2 cases with the K62 having a 280 rad in the hood are about 10-12 kg!
    [​IMG]

11. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Life support is essential is spaceships, so i put plenty of it in :D. The fans will be in a push pull config with 4 x 120mm fans on top of the rads.

12. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Ahh so your one of them guys , constantly yelling : get off your ar$e , stop lying on the snowlanes .....
    I dont know how to brake !!!!

LOL, just kidding off course!

13. adidan

Lol, I can see why you'd think that but for some reason I can actually ski even though I'm British. :)

It may be different elsewhere, most boarders in the Austrain Alps tend to sit on their arses throwing bangers. :lol:

14. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Fiberglass right?

Also you got one of my votes too.

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks !
    Yes it is fiberglass.

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Here is the design for the fan/led controller I want to use for the EURISKO.
    It will be integrated into a LCARS display in the standard that will support the model.

I will use a NZXT Sentry LXE with a remote touchscreen display like this one :
    Sentry LXE
    [​IMG]

The Idea is to take a thick piece of dark plexi and fit the buttons with transparant clear plexi. Different colour leds will light the buttons randomly with certain ones lit continuous making the screen come alive.
    The NZXT LXE touchscreen fancontroller will be integrated into the panel after stripping the casing of it. The blueish voyager button left corner will be fitted with a on/off switch for the pc.

Really looking forward to this job, it might just get precedence above other work!
    The colours in the design might change depending on the colour leds I will receive, but the layout is almost final!

[​IMG]

Regards from Austria!
    ASPHIAX

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
  17. adidan

Now I do want to see you get on with that, be interesting to see how that turns out. :thumb:

Don't tell me you're in the Alps... Envious...

Where abouts?

18. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Dorfgastein, but it is to bloody hot! Was 20 degrees today in the valley.
    Good for the Apres-Ski but bad for boarding as the snow canons will produce ice sheets and after luch there is no getting through the mush ... But still good fun in the mornings !!!

Cant wait to get home to start the work on the panel ...

19. adidan

I hate the mush. Give me pure sheet ice over mush any day, skiing/boarding isn't supposed to be more work than walking. :)

Looking forward to the updates when you get back. :thumb:

20. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

MMMMmm Sentry fun! That's a great idea. :) stop playing in the snow... back to modding hehehe