1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Valve claims Steam is five times more stable on Mac

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 May 2010.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

+Rep to you sir!

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Laughing at all the woe and lamentation here.
    If Gabe says 5 times, it IS five times, he has no reason to lie. As far as people who do not understand math(s) and statistics, report to your local college.
    Additionally, if you are running XP, you are wrong.

Between Valve and OnLive is 60% of the future of PC gaming.

All hail the Newell!
    All hail Steam, bringer of games!

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Meh - consoles, tvs and dvd players also crash less than (some) windows machines - doesn't really say much. Windows caters to a much wider range of users, hardware configurations and applications, therefore it has many more possible points of failure. If apple had to cater to half of the different permutations windows caters to, it would probably be unusable.

This is coming from someone who bought a second hand windows pc or £150 two years ago and is still running it. The 2005 compaq sr1629uk is on 24/7 and I can't remember the last time I did a restart or experienced a crash, even though it was a mid to low-end machine even in 2005.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well I DO understand, and this is why I ask.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

So if he says that the DX11 game you're tremendously fond of sucks (can't remember the name - forgettable game!), it's the truth? Since he has no reason to lie?

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Why would he lie about statistics? I think you're getting statistics mixed up with Opinion.

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

My dear man, if you think statistics don't lie, you need to go back to college.

8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

This has to be a troll post lol, i can't believe anyone is that ignorant.

9. TheTourist

TheTourist Minimodder

As far as I'm concerned this is nothing to do with the whole Mac vs PC argument, in this case the Mac is for all intents and purposes a "console". A console in that as opposed to the PC, the hardware and software is locked down to a discrete set of configurations, and you don't have the same potential problems as you do with a PC (poorly put together machines, over-ambitious overclocks, cheap and unreliable componentry etc)...

So in other news, a console is more reliable than a PC for gaming. Shocking!

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

While it's not crashed while I've actually been playing, it seems to 'quit unexpectedly' whenever I close it (cmd + q). Ok, so I'm closing it anyway, but why does it keep crashing?

Anyhoo, it's been fine other than that...just a shame that the performance is bloody rubbish compared to a similar specced PC.

11. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

More money for Valve can only be a good thing right? Allowing them to pump out more quality games and allowing more money for developers if they make their games for both mac & pc (with all the distribution being handled via steam).

As for the stability claims - limited hardware choice is what I'd boil it down to.

Valve have been making the steam platform for a long time, I'd imagine there'd be teething problems, but the crashes they're having on macs are likely to be problems with the port, not problems with steam itself (as all of those issues are likely to be fixed on the windows version).

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

source used to do this on windows (vista/7) for ages too :p

13. GMX09

GMX09 Frequent Tweaker

I've played countless Steam games on my PC and not one of them has crashed, ever. I played Portal on a friends Mac the other day and it crashed within the first 20 minutes of playing. It was also extremely difficult to handle with the wireless mouse. :/

I guess it depends on the user.

14. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

The client crashes regularly on Mac OS X 10.6, much more than on Windows 7.

15. RedDevil

RedDevil What's a Dremel?

What do you expect when all macs have set hardware? The story would be different if OSX was free to use on any hardware other then Apple's with thousands of possible hardware/driver configurations. I am pretty sure If this was the case OSX and steam running on OSX would not be as stable as people are lead to believe.

Tags: Add Tags