Photos Video of the day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cthippo, 23 Jan 2013.

1. October

October Mariachi Style

The latest. It's hockey again, this one turned out pretty good though. Created for a season ticket holder event during the week. Some major hockey blog in Canada picked it up so it's been doing pretty well for itself.

Embed vimeo video

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I assume the clips at 2:19 and 2:22 were with the sony and not the dslr?

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Any of the game action was a Canon XLH1 (we use two, wide and tight), the behind the goal cam was a GoPro, that one brief bit of super flickery slo-mo was a Phantom Miro, all the fancy set-up stuff on the ice and concourse level stuff (fans, slides etc) was my 550D, as far as I can tell the only stuff from the Z5 is the players walking down the tunnel and any game shots from the corner. The two you mentioned anyway were the big Canons :)lol:), a DSLR would be a wobbly mess with something like that.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is Vimeo a decent alternative to Youtube? Are there any others?

I accidentally deleted my Youtube channel and all my videos the other day while trying to get rid of the Google+ account they gave me and while I have most of them backed up elsewhere, I'm reluctant to go back to Youtube. Is Vimeo the best alternative or are there better ones?

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Vimeo is more of a creative/professional site, fewer crappy vertical phone videos of stupid stuff etc. I don't really know of any alternatives beyond those two, but Vimeo is definitely a good place to put stuff.

6. October

October Mariachi Style

One of my latest.

7. October

October Mariachi Style

Did some stuff for Red Bull at Oxegen there, this is one of the results. I was on the tight cam which was my 550D with a Samyang 85mm, gorgeous lens. The wide was an FS700 with a Mk1 24-70L. We shot and edited a total of 8 videos, the other 7 of which are on the Red Bull Music channel and are nothing like this one :lol:

8. Cthippo

Finally getting back into making videos again. I got roped into shooting my grandmother's 80th birthday party and I've been sitting on the footage for months not wanting to do the editing on it, so I haven't been shooting anything else either. Eventually I decided to stop feeling bad about it and just start doing it again, and here are the first results.

My girlfriend and I are on vacation in California again and we've been doing a lot of kayak surfing at Pacifica, so this is the highlights of one day of that. I plan to eventually put together a longer video, but this is sort of a placeholder.

Techincally, this has a new trick for me. I separated the audio and video, and then cut other pieces of video in keeping the audio track constant. the problem is that each time I cut back to the video of us talking I has to re-sync with the audio which became a colossal pain in the rear. It's one of those things where if I've done it correctly, no one will ever notice it's there. By the end of it my computer was barely crawling along, but I got it done!

9. October

October Mariachi Style

Just put the audio with you talking in one track and keyframe it up and down as needed, use whatever audio you want for the other shots in another track and pull it down a little to allow you to talk over it, simple!

10. Cthippo

What tool are you using for your editing. I'm using the (moderately crappy) Windows Movie Maker 7 because so far it's the only tool I've been able to get to work for me. That's probably more a comment on my abilities that anything else.

Even in WMM it should have been easy. You've got an audio track and a video track, you paste in 10 seconds of new video, you cut 10 seconds off your existing video and it should come out pretty close, right? Nope. Every time I did that it shifted one way or the other at least a couple of seconds. No idea why :worried:

11. October

October Mariachi Style

Ah... I tried using movie maker once, it wasn't pleasant. I use Premiere Pro, but there are plenty of other options. Premiere Elements is a lot cheaper, and IIRC there's a pretty amazing pro editing platform available for free. I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: It's called Lightworks but it's definitely a pro app, Tech Radar don't recommend it for beginners. It is free though, might be worth having a bit of a play with. I've been meaning to try it out for ages but I've never managed to get round to it.

12. Cthippo

As I mentioned with the last video, it was sort of a placeholder for what I wanted to do, but was having trouble getting to work. This is the full version:

Our "shore" camera is a Nikon superzoom that does pretty good video, but it records in a .mov format which has a tendancy to get corrupted and which Windows movie maker frequently chokes on. Most of the footage from it I had to convert to .MP4 with VLC, a process which usually managed to remove the audio. Some of the video turned out to be unrecoverable, but I at least got this much together.

TL:DR: It was a pain, but it's up.

13. Cthippo

First new video in, what, 2 months? Wow.

I've been wanting to do this one for a while, but <insert excuse here>.

This was shot almost exclusively on the Go Pro Hero2 and a lot of it used a homemade cine-pole, which I learned about here from Freddie Wong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z87VQ4QRvJ4

Bonus points if anyone recognizes the music :D

14. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Me and a friend out flying quads yesterday :)

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

One of the winter storms to hit Cornwall over the weekend. First time out with a GoPro and first time editing real world footage. Would love to learn how to properly colour footage in Adobe Premiere.

16. Cthippo

Damn, where's my kayak? I want to get in that water!

Good footage and music integration. Do you want some ideas for improving it?

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yes, please. This is my first dedicated video camera, so any tips and info are greatly welcome.

18. Cthippo

The biggest thing I think I would have done differently is to make the cuts shorter. The use of the motorcycle shot for the intro and transitions was really good, but I felt like it went on too long.

With the shots of the bay, it looked like you were mounted on a tripod, in which using a slow pan to add a little bit of action to the shot without making it hard to see really helps. The emphasis here is on slow, it's really easy to pan too fast and make it hard to follow. For an example, look at documentaries where they use a pan on a still photo and a voice-over to fill in for action shots. Something I've toyed with, but never yet done, is to record the marine weather radio broadcast and use it as voice-over for this sort of thing. They always sound ominious even when describing a sunny day.

The GoPro is tricky to use for those sorts of things because of it's super wide field of view, which I'm sure you've noticed. Getting as close as possible helps, as does shooting footage from as many vantage points as possible. Even something static can look interesting if you get a bunch of short shots and put them together.

Below is the video I did about Forth Whitman, which dealt with some of the same issues. Basically, I'm trying to make a large concrete object be interesting and you can see how I tried to accomplish that.

Silver51 likes this.
  19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Hah, yeah, the FOV will take some getting used to.

I had set it up for 1080/60 Normal but considered 2.7k/30 and using the extra area to crop-in then use a tracking path. The fish-eye effect may have looked weird though if cropped off-center though.

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

What software are people using for video editing? I've been playing around with Windows Movie Maker, had a brief play with Adobe Premiere Pro and i've also been using Lightworks (Free) And this morning i downloaded Magix Movie Editor.

Cheers,
    Sam