1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VLC 1.1.0 adds GPU acceleration

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Jun 2010.

1. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

So this affects very few people?

2. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Lame VLC, add ATI support or else I have no reason to go back to you, I will be sticking with Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I love when developers blame sub par code on drivers. If it works with other programs, it will work with yours.

5. HourBeforeDawn

Unrelated to this article but does anyone know if its possible for Media Player Classic HC to support 7.1 playback?

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Looking at the audio options, it seems to support up to 18 different channels, but don't hold me to that. I did have a look at the video differences between VLC and MPCHC running avatar in HD, and VLC seemed much darker. I suppose it's personal taste at the end of the day.

7. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Nice to know, VLC is my choice of media player. Shame about ATi.

8. luminare

luminare What's a Dremel?

Actually no, its not. CUDA for the most part is still kinda weak and show minimal performance gains in some applications over OpenCL/GL.

The reason people are siding with ATi is because Fermi is a flop in their opinion, its way too hot and uses way too much power.

Unless you're using the MPE in APP CS5 there's nothing really gained by using nvidia accelerators.

I'm currently using my HD5770 to accelerate the endless amount of OpenGL accelerated applications inside CS5. No issues. No issues in any other application either, MPC-HC manages fine when it comes to using the 'windows drivers' the same drivers which are making it impossible for the VLC guys.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I love the VLC player but I pledge my allegiance to ATi. Oh well looks like I'll be buying a Nvida card for physx and Cuda. ATi HD 6000 series should bring Radeon completely on par with Nvidia as I'm happy more developers are starting to take advantage of these massive power plants PC gamers have in their rigs.

Nvidia = more than just games.

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Surely this only affects users who run vlc on a laptop with Ati dedicated graphics and a weedy cpu:

GPU acceleration would be nice, but not a necessity generally?

12. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

VLC is a fantastic media player regardless of the GPU acceleration, which I'm sure will come for more graphics cards in time.. It plays pretty much any file so is very handy to have..

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

14. HourBeforeDawn

well I just picked up a netbook using ION so I guess I will be using this after all lol well we will see how well this works. :)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

16. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Good, 10.6 is the first ever ATi driver I've skipped - ever! Not impressed ATi, but at least I'm not using an nVIDIA card.

Tags: Add Tags