1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wanakiwi tool decrypts WannaCry files across all Windows versions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 May 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Once this ransomware is tidied up, I hope Microsoft fix this little security flaw... It means a bad actor would only need to be able to read your memory as you encrypt files, to have the decryption keys for their own nefarious uses.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it's not a great advert for Microsoft's built-in encryption tools, is it? I originally had a few words about that in the lede, but ditched it in case people thought I was being unnecessarily critical of Microsoft.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yeah, this is especially true in a server environment which can go a month or two between reboots. (Or years assuming you're not patching)

5. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I doubt that it's a coincidence that it has such an obvious backdoor. It seems more likely that is done in partnership with a certain group of 3 letter acronym carrying fun partners.