1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Watercooling potential

Discussion in 'Modding' started by atc95, 8 Dec 2012.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

No... not even, its IF. Because internally its optional. But externaly if those fan grill arent spaces they wont do squat in the way of preventing bent fins. Its to help protect it. If it were internal youd put em between the fan and rad. If external you could still do that tho. Iow:
    Fan,rad,shroud,grill
    fan,shroud,rad,shroud,grill etc.
    unless you have a sheetmetal grill w/holes in it but a shroud still helps there. And thoose can make a sort of plenum if spaced with a shroud.

As you can see i am albeit paranoid over bent fins.:worried:

2. siliconfanatic

Care to do a quick sketch of just where youl put them? Im afraid im a tad slow today. Just had to pull off 3 all-nighters fer homework, project and that big-@r$$ exam coming up. Just a quickie in word/graph paper will work wonders.

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

disagree with the shroud haven't used one in 2 years and no bent fins so it is optional a grill on the otherhand i recommend

4. siliconfanatic

One of the bent-rod style grills? Had one a while back. Didnt do squat. Air hardly flowed throught the thing. Hence why i reccomemend the shroud if ya use one.

5. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I am sorry for the incredibly crude sketch but i never got the hang of sketchup

http://imgur.com/GEdEJ

This is the general idea of what I am going for and I believe there will be enough room for the current 2x60mm xbox fan slots to act as an exhaust with the watercooling getting rid of all the cpu and some other heat.

6. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

should work if it'll all fiy you measured up components to?

7. atc95

The components should all fit based on the manufacturers measurements. The only issue will be fitting the tubing and compression fittings without too much bend in the tubing. I am still going for a tfx psu but it will be external and I can buy longer wires for it if need be, plus it is modular :)

8. siliconfanatic

just get a coupla acrylic pipes or copper pipes if ya aint yet confident enough with the tubing that yer afraid of kinking it m8. that shouldn't kink if ya do it right :) Go for it+ Good luck! :)

and remember kiddies, no log=long and excruciating deeeeeath :hehe:

9. atc95

I think I will be ok with tubing, I will just have to check it when I move the rig around.

Next quick question is about the pump, the swiftech apogee drive II has a integrated pump in the cpu waterblock (MCP35X pump). Will this pump be enough If I were to add a discrete gpu into the loop or would I need another pump?

I am thinking of adding a discrete card like a 7850 or 660 and using the phenom x4 cpu which has disabled integrated graphics (but more thermally efficient).

10. siliconfanatic

another pump is great. dunno if its necessary tho. mostly depends on how far up you have to push. the more gravity the pump has to fight, the slower the flow-rate. but with this? nah.. but another pump means redundancy, and possibly a slightly healthier flow rate. :) another thing, is if you have a really tall loop, and the pump has to pull from the bottom, you can get cavitation-not fun. the pump just screams "KILL ME NOWW!!" that's when there is no choice but to add one. less stress on the pump, because fluid is being pushed into the inlet of the top one, and being pulled out the outlet of the bottom one. my uncle had the pump, a massive res, and a peltier cooling system in his basement, and the rig being cooled a floor up, due to a much cooler basement, but he used it upstairs 90% of the time. had a switching system so he could switch to the nvidia surround/ peripherals downstairs. and the loop was the switched part. god, helping him out with that was an experience.:jawdrop: one incredible rig, and an htpc, cooled to sub-0 with the same cooling apparatus!

Last edited: 22 Dec 2012