Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

2. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Thanks Cookie - You helped get the ball rolling too :thumb:

Completed 48.3 miles in 3hrs 21mins.

Some pics from the day

Getting ready
    [​IMG]

Crew Chief sampling the rations
    [​IMG]

Anyone else care to rob my rations?
    [​IMG]

Returning after 48.3 miles to a well deserved hug
    [​IMG]

3. Cookie Monster

Well done, with an extra £65 donated today, you've more than doubled your target. Proud to have helped.

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Well done Simon. How did you find it? I've been tempted but I'm a very entry level mtb rider. How do they create a solid route? Do you have strava data for the journey?

Also that's a blinding time I'd struggle to do just on the roadie over that distance.

5. teacherboy

I did do the 48 mile course faster on my mountain bike than some did the 27 miles on their road bikes :rock:

Course was on roads though Lance - Somerset Levels

[​IMG]

Action pic here taken by official photographer person - I'll buy next week when I get paid (spent far too much getting better gear to take part in the event and others to come)

Just keep spinning, just keep spinning

Was pretty chuffed with the time but now hatching plans for a road bike - I know i'd dip below 3 hrs for the run on one of those (I'll keep the MTB though as it's cool and very much custom to me and my tastes)

6. Cookie Monster

Just looked at the official picture, how high is your seat? It looks like your right leg isn't extended enough for where the pedal is within it's stroke.

Can you sit on the bike and still touch the floor?

If you have the confidence in your SPD's, id recommend get the the seat up until you can place your heal on the pedal and lock your leg out as a starting point.

Of course if you've already got your seat up and are happy or its a wonky image, ignore me :D

7. teacherboy

Legs astride bike seat and toes on floor Cookie - prob could go up another 5mm or so though but i've been adjusting seat angle to take pressure off my hands, i'm long in the body so have a 110mm stem but short(ish) in the leg.

I have my knee centred over the pedal axle so fore/aft seat position is fine and I don't rock my hips when riding so am prob 99% of the way there, just need to dial out the extra height given by my spd cleats - seat was set for trainers and toe clips and was 5 degree knee bed on full extension then :thumb:

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Rampage on sunday don't forget :)

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Teacherboy, to me, I'm an ex time trialist, your seat looks a little low and a little too far back for riding on the road. When I raced I adhered to a simple formula for setting seat height: Measuring along the centre line of the seat tube with pedal down and in line with the seat tube. The distance from thepedal spindle to the top of the saddle should equal 1.09 times your inside leg plus an allowance for the stack height of your shoe on the peddle, if you use Look or Time pedals but, don't worry about that as you are likely using SPDs which don't stack as high (the formula was derived when people were still using toeclips and straps). This is the optimum for maximum efficiency on the road.

BTW, when I was doing a lot of cycling I lived in Priddy and latterly Wells and know the roads you rode very well.

10. teacherboy

I'll give it a try :thumb:

Should have some bike p*rn to put in here next week - colleague of mine is big into road cycling and is going to loan me his "spare" Orbea to see how I get on with the shifters and position :jawdrop:

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Your poor wallet, Roadie bikes are addictive.

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I have some bike pron ill upload later (no photobucket at work) Have to admit as much as i despise roadies a road bike is looking very tempting as the trails get ruined.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Despite not having paid any attention to Downhill/cycling at all this year I'll probably try to catch some, crazy stuff :D

14. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Holy ****!!!

:jawdrop::jawdrop:

15. legoman

Shiney things

New skewers and rotor, old floater kept warping badly anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Lance

Nice. I am tempted to get some shiny new skewers because shiny but really I want to get some wheels sorted out if I'm going to race next season.

I did however find somewhere they sells inner tubes by the pack of 10 for £18 and they arrived promptly on Friday for me. Really impressed and they came shrink wrapped so they should stay quite nicely in be back pocket.

17. Cookie Monster

Looks like the Rampage has been cancelled for today due to heavy rain and thunderstorms, it's being moved forwards to Monday with the coverage starting on Redbull.tv @ 8pm UK time..

Pinkbike linky

Last edited: 28 Sep 2014
  18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Boo I'm gonna miss it.

19. legoman

Wheel wise ive seen a few deals on rims with tyres and skewers, though not as shiney as the hope ones.

Where be this magical inner tube place? I used my last spare earlier today so could so with some spares.

20. Lance

Linky

I haven't tried any yet, but it seems pretty good. I was looking into the weight differences with inner tubes and apparently getting fancy ones is a waste of time.