1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You try standing when cycling on a road.
    Why on Earth does everyone have their seat pointing up at odd angles?

2. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

If we're going to start showing off our bikes, then I'll join in with mine
    My BMX
    [​IMG]

My Mountain Bike
    [​IMG]

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

What, like I do on my way to work? :p

Try riding a bike with a very small frame (BMX or a very short 26/24") and you will very quickly see why the seat is the way it is.

4. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I also will jump on the bandwagon of posting pix
    My Trek 8000SLR, has Judy Rock shox, Avia V -brakes and Rolf Satelite rims, got odd tyres on atm but thats just till i can get a decent set on.

[​IMG]

I found this in a cash converters for 120 pounds. Imagine my surprise - i got home and the current model retails at 1000+.
    Its a very nice ride and can handle some of the rougher stuff too.

Incidentally the only thing i hate about my bike is the saddle. Although i don't spend much time in it, when i do its like sitting on a brick. can anyone recommend any good saddles?

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

[​IMG]

My darling. Though I'm thinking of selling it... Maybe I'll change my mind as soon as the weather gets better.

Also here's the original front gear... I finally figured it's full served and got a new one. From the piccy you can't really tell, but I once hit a rock and it bent 90 degrees.. Funny to see how worn out this is as I've never thought something could wear out in my use :blush:

[​IMG]

NINJAEDIT: Oh also about the saddle... It now points to "funny direction" like Ramble would say. The piccy is a tad old.

6. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

I've been trying to explain to friends exactly what i see on the front of your bike Jipa, they are tensioners for the chain yeah?

7. Jipa

You mean the orange things? Yeah they keep the chain from dropping off the front gear.

8. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Need a new pic, it's changed since last summer.

Since then i've got; 2008 Marzocchi 4X World Cups, Avid Juicy 7's and i'm using my Mavic 321CD on Hope Bulbs (wheels). Stripped my old wheels down to build them as 24s, using my Hope Pro II's and just bought some Sun MTX's and Schwalbe Table Top Folding Light tyres to go on them. I'm basically building a 24" wheeled single speed MTB, could just call it a big BMX though, using it for Street\Dirt\BMX tracks :)

[​IMG]

9. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

10. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

1994/5 Marin Team Titanium with Pace RC36 Pro Class forks, HS33 Magura Rim brakes and some godawful tyres which I didn't realise were red until they arrived... Oh it also has a retro Synchros stem on it now but not in the pic :)

[​IMG]

I'm currently looking for a decent FS bike, had my heart set on a Specialized Epic but they are rather common and after seeing those Ghost bikes linked I *really* like the look of them, all the specs seem generous but I cannot for the life of me find anyone that can give any information on how they ride (I don't speak German so that doesn't help I guess)...

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Got 4 days in Coed-y-Brenin booked for mid June :D:D:D:D:D:D Cannot. ****ing. Wait :D

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

We should set up a group on Google for making cycle routes using those new things on Google maps. I've made a few with my Dad. I would show them, but they kinda have directions to my house and my dads so I better not. :p

13. heh-

heh- curses.

Same problem... but I'm test riding one next weekend (hopefully the one I linked, but if not at least the same frame) so I'll let you know!

14. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

How much do you need to ride per day or week to warrant an upgrade from a £90 steel MTB to a £200-300 one like a GT Avalanche 3.0 or something similar?

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

What are you using it for?, and on what terrain?

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Well I guess I would use it for commuting on tarmac and concrete and a bit of trail riding. Which is probably more suited to a hybrid bike of some kind, though I guess you could put narrower hybrid tires on a lightweight MTB.

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My bike in road mode... slicks are the best.

[​IMG]
    Apologies for the quality

18. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Is that cardboard for a floor?

19. Jipa

ARGH checked some videos on youtube and figured I'll have to buy a shovel and go dig some dirt tomorrow... Or next weekend. Also a certain drop has really bothered me a week now, but it would need some shoveling action to be really rideable.

20. Major

Major Guest

How much are a decent pair of road wheels, and how easy is it to whack a pair on and off?