1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What is the best water-cooling coolant?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Mar 2012.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

The last review on coolant was pretty much the same and the results are pretty marginal. I guess it's about what colour you're into and if you have some kind of affilliation to a particular brand. Glad you pointed out the downfalls of the aurora fluids, I did check out their test results on different systems and pumpos. Fair play to the guys at Mayhems for being honest....does look very nice though.

Talking about different systems and don't know if this is the place to ask but can we have a test on SLI/Crossfire sytems rigged in series and rigged in parrallel ? Just interested if there is a difference in performance ?

2. Asouter

Asouter --------

I mean cooling systems, rigged in series and parrallel :)

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

As we've said several times, we're not commenting on the results as there's so little variation. They are what they are, and a 3'C difference between coolants is well within the margin of error of many digital thermometers, the fact we don't test in a temperature controlled lab or with industrial-grade equipment that's accurate to less than a degree. We've also stated several times in both reviews that you should not be basing your purchase on the performance results as there's no benefit for doing so - you mentioned this in your post in the other thread, but we have mentioned it and come to the same conclusion you do. That's our stance on these tests and the results. Our equipment isn't industrial-grade, nor is our testing on par with hard-core testers but it's clearly sensitive enough to show that for the coolants we've tested, there's negligible difference in flow rate and temperatures as far as the end user is concerned.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2012
  4. rge

rge What's a Dremel?

My point was...the author published data in a chart that he had to know was not only false but misleading to new watercoolers. Stating there wasnt much performance difference, etc isnt the same as putting a bold and clear disclaimer on the same chart stating, these results are in error since water by definition will cool best or equivalent if others are mostly water.

I think he greatly underestimates the negative impact something like that will have on any past and future reviews not just from him, but from this entire site. I used to link to some of your reviews in discussions...cant anymore, to easy to discredit any review from this site now, even if not warranted.

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

So as a person looking into water cooling, its a waste of money to use anything but deionized water?

6. claydough

claydough What's a Dremel?

depends....
    If I took a dump on yer computer case would the the miniscule cost of cleaning products be a waste if said dump had no impact in any way on yer computer's performance?
    ( btw my waste smells like roses as well... )

In which case,
    At what point do you not care what visual appeal yer computer has?
    Couldn't it be relative? What each person decides upon till their computer no longer looks like cr@p to them?

Mayhem Bling for me.
    ( with a cleaning every 6 months. UV green by mixing acid yellow UV and Mayhem blue. )

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Ive changed my loops to

1. GPU Mayhems nano fluid ice dragon stuff

2. CPU loop Blueberry Mayhems pastel

3. NB loop Mayhems ice dragon nano also

4. Ram loop Bluberry pastel Mayhems.

Ive done it to match the artwork on my case only, however i did have a bad fitting and lost some nano onto my sound card and gfx card.
    Im deffo gonna give it a 10/10 for non conductivity :thumb:.

However all the marketing hollox and nonsense hasnt dropped the temps any from whatever liquid ive used, from Feser to fluidxp to primo to etc etc etc etc.

But i never believed it would anyway, i did for looks which is quite nice now, if a little expensive.

Maybe there would be a 0.000000000000000001 centigrade temp drop over 100% load for 6000 hours, but ive not seen anything in real terms yet.

For me the only real test is to try stuff yourself and decide, and prob will be the only real way ever.

8. Sizuke

Sizuke What's a Dremel?

Distilled water with a silver coil and/or PHN!
    Great results and easy to clean and maintain!
    For the looks just get UV reactive/color tubing.

9. scullbock1

scullbock1 What's a Dremel?

mayhems pastel white .
    one could think a product of this price range is exelent and it was , in the beginning !
    the first time i used the product ( in a brand new loop ) it was lovely white had a good flow and the cooling was fantastic , BUT
    after the pc standing still for a couple of days the product curdled and had suddenly 2 fluids in my loop .
    1 clear fluid and 1 white sticky residu .
    when comming from a flow of 148 liters per hour to 71 liters per hour , this triggered an alarm to take it all out.
    I needed to flush the whole system with vineager but i presume i need to take every cooling block and coupling appart to get it all out .
    I Think this will be the same for every pastel colour and even worse for the aurora and color changing fluids from mayhems .
    This is the worste and most costly product i had ever had and will say NO to Mayhems products for ever exept maybe the pure water .
    Don't want to recoment this to anyone , it truely destroys your wc loop and cost a lot of bucks and sweat .

Tags: Add Tags