1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What Makes You Quit Multiplayer Games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2009.

1. sc.uk^cRoSsFir3

sc.uk^cRoSsFir3 What's a Dremel?

I left Counter-Strike and BF2 for 2 reasons.

The first reason was one by one the people i played online with for years started to not turn up for matches and lost interest in the clan and gaming in general. The second reason was the increase in people using hacks and dodgy settings.

I've pre-ordered operation flashpoint 2 to see if i can get back into some team based action. I'm hoping a few of the guys i do sim racing with over at gamers-crib will join me :)

2. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

In the past, the only reason to leave a game i enjoyed was the community. I played UT99 religiously for years, and only eventually moved on (to UT2004) when the community started dying off.
    Same thing happened when I stopped playing that and moved on to WoW, which is the game that broke the trend. I eventually left that due to boredom and the ridiculous amount of free time it drained.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

been trolling around on the gw2 forums, pretty excited about this- old clanmate of mine is a big wow player- think he said it best.. they need to make a mmo that's not as grindy as lineage but not as quick to the end like wow and you end up standing around

I like this video interview with the content designer.. he's got those mmo eyes rofl

what makes you quit.. if you start off liking a game- especially a mmo, nerfs making the game easier is a big problem.. saddle poppers always get their way in numbers and have ruined some pretty great open pk mmo games

that's the problem going forward.. games will get so easy, who will care anymore but the masses of cookie monsters

you used to be able to really set yourself apart from that pack of mustard faces.. I don't mind grind really in mmo's, see it like a challenge to find ways/areas to level up in the most efficient amount of time- most of the time that's not easy and the squeelers who live by the wiki of course call you a liar- but it's much more satisfying knowing you are one of the only people who can do it

without that ability to set yourself apart.. even in fps games- the difference between a good player and a elite player should be so far apart it makes the good player look like he's sitting on a saddle that's sitting on a tony hawk skateboard.. halo comes to mind as a pure saddle popping fps- and practically all mmo's out today have been degraded.. can't speak for aion haven't tried it yet and it's getting good feedback :sigh:

4. sear

sear Guest

For me it's pretty much boredom. I'm not a multiplayer gamer to begin with. I played World at War's multiplayer for 80 hours, and Modern Warfare's for 40 hours, according to Xfire, but I got Modern Warfare after World at War, so you could reverse those numbers if I'd got Call of Duty 4 first. That's my record, though - I've sunk far more time lately into Fallout 3, Oblivion, The Witcher, Mass Effect, etc. I don't think I like the competitive element as much as I do a strong story and an interesting world to explore, plus meaningful decisions to make, either in terms of gameplay and character development or plot. There's a place in my life for twitch gaming, and I have fun with those types, but it's not what really keeps me going.

5. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I personally leave games when other come out but still play some right through to the sequel. Call of Duty is the latter I will be buying MW2 and switching then as I am level55 have been since 3 months after buying and have played it to death. Others such as left 4 Dead I just fell out of love with gradually and am not even remotely excited at the sequel.

6. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

I've loved how the Battlefield Sandbox has evolved, and am waiting for BF:BC2 to arrive and see what destruction brings to the table (don't play console games so BF:BC doesnt count)... What makes ME move on from multiplayer games is other multiplayer games. You get bored of the same maps and tactics so you just move on.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Lack of time. EVE is a real temporal black hole. I just have too much Real Life to get on with to spend time playing MMORPG's.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

@thehippoz, play EVE online, come back in 5 years, then we will discuss what hardcore truly means.

@Thread main topic
    Ahem, let me start by saying what attracts me in the first place. Hardcore, complex dynamics that afford the players the ability to compete in a manner that can be said to have counterparts in RL due to the "game's" demand for one to use RL tactics or develop tactics that would be real if the fictional universe existed (EVE, Jedi Knight, Starfleet Command series).
    In addition I find the need to have a way to compete, usually a league or ladder (in a normal non subscription game). In MMOs there are two ways this is achieved levels (which i find artificial) or conquered territory, as in the case of the Emperor of all MMOs, EVE Online.
    I left the Starfleet Command games when they no longer had viable leagues (where I was always in the top 5). The mass exodus from SWG is well documented, because the devs did not respect the desires of the player base. If a game is nerfed or modified beyond all recognition that would also cause me to leave (there needs to be a recognition that balancing and patching should not be a cause for you to whine and leave, adapt or die!)
    I consider myself to be a very hardcore gamer, if you have perused my comments in the hardware section I have no problem spending thousands of euros per year to have the best equipment.
    But dear Reader, elite equipment does not make a great warrior (though sub-par equipment will preclude you from attaining the rarefied heights).
    It is the killing, competitive, willing to train hours a day HEART that makes the Elite PC Gamer, so in conclusion when a game does not reward, or even better, engender these values I will take my Romulan excellence elsewhere...

Yours in Laughing Murder Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

An increasingly common statement overheard in EVE.

"There is no RL, just extended AFK"

and

"You need to get your priorities straight young man, Gaming first then other silly things like RL!"

Yours in Humorous but True Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I quit playing World of Warcraft because I got bored of killing sheep and making leather, or fishing. There didn't seem to be much else I could do.

As for Battlefield 2 and others like it, I tend to leave them alone now because I don't have the committment or the ping to keep up with the 12-year olds who do nothing else.

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

hrmm

the only 2 games i really played online were tribes & tribes 2 ... there were a couple of reasons that i quit playing ...

round bout the same time i finished school, and had to start working full time again, most of the regulars on the 2 servers i frequented started playing BF more than tribes. and then T:V came out, and utterly ruint the franchise.

while the T2 servers were still there, patching stopped. and people stopped playing. even when they made Tribes & T2 free, there still were no players, and the popular servers disappeared one by one.

to this day, i still haven't found a game that pulls me in the way T2 did. i was already playing 20-30 hours of tribes a week ... it just got stupid when T2 came out. every moment i wasn't working that my GF wasn't in town, i was playing T2.

now that i think about it - T2 was the only game i ever went out to buy the week it came out.

12. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

For me it has to be having no1 to play with. I can play an average game all day with clan mates and really enjoy it, then be playing a great game but get bored really quickly.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

All I can say is: EVE should have existed when I was all of 14 and playing ELITE... :sigh:

14. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

well the only games i played are Counter Strike & COD4MW, i stopped playing CS bcos i lost the address to my fave server followed by departure of my gpu to silicone heaven ,

the latter is crap(imo) where most people just "pray & spray", poor rankings(i like the points system in CS rather than a levels in MW, omigod he has lvl32 !!!1).

i forgot to add another reason , i have no RL friends who game online(or at all).

15. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I feel the same as most above, I leave games because my community decided to leave or disappears. However games like ARMA I doubt I will ever stop playing altogether any type of sim always has expansion and you can always make it more interesting for your self.

16. salesman

salesman Minimodder

You get bored playing a FPS like cod4 over and over unless you got like 4 or 5 or guys you constantly roll with, because of content. I left SWG because it became a completely different game as everyone else did. I left FFIX because it was so meticulous, I mean you could not lvl in that game solo.

Although, I haven't played cod4 in a while, I would pick it up again because it is still an enjoyable game. I played cod 4 on the 360 because all my RL friends play it on the 360 which requires the gold membership and I don't feel like paying the money for anymore, otherwise i might have never stopped playing.

Maybe if I didn't have to pay to keep playing a game (like SWG, FFIX, WoW, COD4 for the 360 anyways,) I would still be playing a lot of games I stopped playing.

You know it takes a lot for a person's patience to keep playing some games, but it takes a whole new level of patience to keep playing a game and to be paying money for it.

17. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

hmm - I can say exactly what makes me quit playing a game - RL!!!!

I have a wife+2kids (under 3 yrs old)+mortgage and demanding job that limits the amount of free time that I actually have. I very happy that my employer doesn't restrict my net access and I'm able to keep up with tech stuff here at BT.

Other than that I would only mirror several of the comments already made - most games are just better with friends and when they stop hanging out in vent than it's no fun pubbing. Plus 'all the kids get younger, while I stay the same age' makes it hard to get excited about pwning 13 yr olds in CSS.

My biggest gripe would be with time commitments and how hard it is to find a decent game in L4D. I mean seriously, when was the last time you made it to the final with 3 of you friends in VS? I try and get in every other day with my m8's in vent and it takes us 1,5hrs to find a game that make sit pass the 3rd map because of all the raging that is so commonplace.
    Valve still steers the FAIL BOAT on the lack of proper match system in VS.
    I'd rather spend time playing single player games then where I have more control of my time.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I think a lot of it is down to the community. A game is always fun if you do it with enthusiastic mates, no matter how old. If I could round up my brothers for another game of Jedi Knight, I'd do it in a second.

Personally, I rarely get to play games with people I know: I barely know any PC gamers, and I often keep funny gaming hours (10-10.30 in the evening, some evenings, and Saturday morning). So for me, it's always with randoms, and that means the game has to stay fun even if you aren't enoying it with anyone but yourself. It's essentially a single player game, and like all single player games, it can become samey, so you need new content to keep you interested.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  19. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

i am very much the same as above, RL commitments are the main reason i have quit a lot of multiplayers (having a baby really puts demands on your time) i still play a lot of L4D mainly because i can pick it up have a quick 20 mins with randoms when i get some time and then put it down.

i also have problems with my times online finding my friends as most of the time i only get later in the evening or friday night / saturday morning for any full on sessions

20. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Eve Online - I had some teething troubles with this one at the initial launch but kept going back to it as loved the game, in the end, it proved to much of a time sink, gave new players too much of a leg up compared to older long time players and never gave any real guidance for new additions to the game and ended up with too many inconsistencies within the game to allow for griefers.

BF2 / America's Army - Used to play these two an awful lot but had to split my time with other online games and something had to give, after not playing for sometime it become increasingly difficult to compete with the higher ranks and more experienced players.

Guildwars - I still go back to this one and haven't truly given it up but having achieved a lot in the game I am left with near constant grinding to achieve anything more, which is a shame as I love the game and even got to know some of the people outside of the game, so only pop on now for the odd hour or so.

Tags: Add Tags