1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics what resisitor? plz help asap

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 3N1GM4, 27 Apr 2005.

1. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

Hey hey, well today on the way to class, my amp (kenwood KAC-929 1000w) stopped working, and well, being as i am the "known" third owner, i knew i had no warantee at all.. so i ripped it open, found the problem... but the resistor got so hot, it burned off the gloss coating, and can barly distinguish the colors on the bands...

its R207 on the board, if you have the repair manual...

im thinking gold orange brown brown, or brown red brown brown... but i dont know... any one know... any help will be greatly appreciatied....

[​IMG]

2. ben_jt

ben_jt What's a Dremel?

I don't trust myself enough to give my opinion on those colours... however, you could try using the resistance measurement of a multimeter to determine it's approximate value, then look for the nearest preferred values and see if they match up with the possible colour codes?

Just a thought.

3. bobmister

bobmister What's a Dremel?

Well, if it's burnt, reading resistance from it will be a futile exercise.

The thing is stereo isn't it, if you are lucky, there is a mirror circuit, so look.

If you are lucky still, your local library subscribes to Sam's Photofacts. U can buy the manual on-line for probly $25 if they have it.

4. Cougar4

Cougar4 What's a Dremel?

If the colors really are brown, brown, red, gold, then that would be a 1,100 ohm 5 percent resistor.

As Bobmister suggested, looking for a mirror circuit would be a good idea to find out the real colors. Another thing you may find is that the resistor is not the only problem. Something the resistor was tied to in the circuit may be bad. It may be a bad IC or transistor, something caused too much current to flow in the circuit and damaged the resistor. Checking the resistance to ground at the resistor may help you track down the damaged active component by showing a low resistance to ground.