Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Someone has broken SCCM and managed to break the mess up AD so its no longer accepting new device so I can build a machine but the moment it tries to hit AD for a hostname it stops. Also I cant deploy the ones I built yesterday because AD is broken and also SCCM is broken to. so while I can manually install them they wont look at the KMS server now for licencing, guess whos doing it all manual today!

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Guess who did not understand a word of the above? :D:D

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Something Windows-flavoured has fallen over, hard? (I think)

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Quick Public Service Announcement (PSA), when abbreviating words in anything, you should always write out the whole text for the first time, capitalizing the first letters (or the letters that you intend to use for the abbreviation), then place the abbreviation in brackets. Use the abbreviation each time after that. This should be done even if you think that the intended readers are conversant in the topic that you are discussing.

I see the same thing all the time where I work, this company seems to live on abbreviations without explaining them.

Not having a go at all, just something which I find useful :)

5. legoman

My bad!

KMS = Microsoft Key Manager (Software Licences)
    SCCM = System Center Configuration Manager (pushes software to machines based on the host ID)
    AD = Active Directory (manages device and user IDs)

So yes, windows stuff very broken an some randoms who have no idea what they are doing are trying to "fix" it.
    Apologies the company is very buzzword and abbreviation happy to the point job roles are abbreviated FLA (First Line Analyst) SLA (Second Line Analyst) TL (Team Leader) if your in the bubble long enough you automatically translate them but to everyone else you look like some weirdo making up their own words.

6. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

My divorce solicitor seems intent on causing issues where there are non, going on about recovering costs! What costs? I'm paying for it all, I agreed that!!

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And none the wiser but I do now know that it is probably PC related and possibly network related. :thumb::D

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is he charging you per letter/email etc? then that will be why.

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Set fee divorce as it is a simple no kids, no assets split, she's not even got legal representation but I started in March and only just found out the Decree nisi request in court is tomorrow.

They've not once contacted me with updates and used the "lost in post" excuse twice for delays.

They seem more un-organised than anything, gladly the girlfriend is a legal secretary so I have a significant helping hand on how to handle things

11. legoman

Both, its a mess basically

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

Some nobhead in an Audi (which is arguably redundant) that cut me up. Happens all the time, but for some reason this time it pissed me right off for the rest of my journey home.

Probably cos he didn't even indicate and had a private plate.

Plus is was annoyingly quiet considering it was an RS5. At least let me hear that V8 growl :grr:

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Banjaxed windscreen :wallbash:

14. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I've been spending allot of my time using PHPmyAdmin and it looks like it's been made in the 1930s and never updated... For the millions and millions and millions of people using it daily in and out you would of thought they could of added a more friendly skin.

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Wisdom tooth extract...

I asked whats most difficult procedure, root cannal is very low down on her list, wisdom tooth is classified as surgery, she motion an implant upwards into the top bank of teeth as being tricky.

All my jaw is wrecked, dull borous

Tommorow maybe bunk off work day if it feels even 1/4 this bad

:dremel:
    Open wide its time to say bye bye to little rooten toothy peg

I want wiskey or some thing :duh:

16. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Now that's a post operation sedative post if I ever read one :D

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You've clearly not read what he posts in Serious... :p

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I went to a class last night on violent incident response and how we (Fire dept) are supposed to work with law enforcement.

Short version is, if it ever happens it's going to be a cluster.

Not only do our radios not talk to their radios, but our dispatch is not in the same place as their dispatch, so if we need to talk to them we have to call our dispatch on the radio, who will phone their dispatch, who will call them on the radio. Add to that the fact that we don't speak the same language and it's going to be, well, interesting.

One of the nice things in this part of the world, and to some extent in the fire service generally, is that we're pretty good about standardized terminology. If we've got incoming units from another district, or from the next county, or even Canadian units from across the border (yes, it happens, rarely) and I ask them to "Lay in a supply for Engine 26 and establish RIT*" I'm fairly confident they will know what I want.

What I found out last night is that even within the county, the various law enforcement agencies can't agree on terminology or policy. The big players, the city Police Department, State Patrol, and the federal law enforcement types (Border Patrol, mostly) are pretty much on the same page, but the Sherriff's Dept are not there yet and the smaller town PDs are not really on board.

The good news is that, while they get lots of media, massive violent acts aren't really all that common and so we'll probably never have to use this stuff.

* RIT is a Rapid Intervention Team of firefighters with tools and equipment to rescue a trapped firefighter inside a structure fire. It's also the worst job on the fireground because you just stand around waiting for something that never happens, so we always assign it to the visitors

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Whilst out walking my cat Millie this morning I spotted my first flashing LED Christmas window decoration, I hate these things. Bah humbug.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2016
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

24 hours of throwing up.

My stomach is screaming at me, but every time I eat something it's back up within two hours.