1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your (home) backup/redundancy procedure?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest-16, 8 Dec 2015.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Robocopy to my Windows 8.1 server system.
    Locate the important stuff in the OneDrive folder on the server.

Also, use File History locally on a second drive where possible.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

General client systems: Acronis CDP and weekly images to main server backup area
    Photos on main system: Bvckup2 CDP to mirrored data area on server
    Main Server:
    - Mirrored data area, 4TiB usable ReFS Volume, with principle data on it
    - Standalone backup area, 2TiB NTFS De-duped volume, with backup images from clients
    Backup Server, 4TiB standalone NTFS De-duped volume, Bvckup2 CDP with archived versions <6 mo (or when space requires it)
    "Offsite" - a pair of 4TB external drives that live in the boot of each car, connecting them to the main server triggers a sync of principle data area, which is done with relative frequency.

No cloudiness at the moment on account of an atrocious upload speed. As soon as I'm blessed with internet from this century, I'll be syncing the lot to the cloud as well.

3. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I'm down to having only a labtop with 2 drives in it, so my procedure is pretty slim.
    OS and all software on a SSD: System image backup once a month to Dropbox pro.
    All files on a HDD: Directly on to Dropbox.
    This way I don't have to worry about stuff like offsite or versioning. Also the phone app lets me access it all on the go.

Anybody got something more simple?

Edit: I dare not put any files on Dropbox that might have copyright issues. So my FLAC files are synced via crashplan to an offsite HDD.

4. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

^ This.

Don't have any docs or programs that need backing up, pictures are few and far between (i'm not one to take more than a few photos a year), music is non existant (used to have a collection but then spotify came around). Movies are... something that gets added to and deleted regularly. As for the main use of my home PC, gaming, all games are either on disc (old) or downloadable via steam/uplay/origin/myriad other clients.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

At the moment I'm manually backing up my uni coursework data every 2-3 days (sometimes daily) because I produce a lot of work and I have deadlines coming up soon.

Main storage: 1TB Barracuda (used to be primary boot until I went SSD on its ass).

Primary backup: 2TB Samsung F4, getting long in the tooth now

Secondary backup: 2TB Seagate Expansion (portable USB3)

Tertiary backup: 2x 250GB dinosaurs in a different box.

Additional backup (when needed): 32GB USB3 Flash Drive

I reckon I could make my life a lot easier by doing things differently (eg. not manually) but to be honest it takes hardly any time for file transfers over USB3 or SATAII so I don't mind.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Phew.

I only really backup photos, everything else is (pretty much) unimportant.

Everytime I empty the camera chip :rolleyes: the data goes to the harddrive and an external drive (nas, really).
    About once/twice a year a copy of this goes to my parents external drive (so it's off-site).

So generally, I keep three copies.

Syncing these is a bitch though.
    Synctoy keeps copying folders that haven't been touched in years.
    Goodsync does the same.

I keep a pretty strict regime, but the wife keeps sorting pictures on both drives, or copies on the laptop, which doesn't make things easier.

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I know your pain.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

8-disk RAID10 on the main computer (I know, I know, RAID is not backup, but it's a reliability mechanism all the same). Casual backups to a 4TB USB3 disk. Less casual backups go to LTO.

This is a big, scary video edit station.