1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your job?

Discussion in 'General' started by AndyGoldie, 9 Jul 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

You seem to have had it hard

It's nothing like that for me. I actually don't know what my problem is. It seems like I am not passionate about anything ! The only things I really like are PC hardware, driving (and cars, inevitably) and gaming.

Everything else just bores the shìt out of me ...

2. Barracuda_00

Barracuda_00 What's a Dremel?

Network operations,
    Broad term for monitoring diffrent companies and acting like secretarys for one company which could easily be classed "Special" and not in a good way....

2 diffrent shifts, evening when you´re overloaded with work, or the graveyard shifts where you spend the hours watching movies, watching series or playing Cod multiplayer....

3. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

why then are you going to school to become an engineer?

also, im almost exactly the same, except replace PC hardware with guitars.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

because I was not passionate about being a regular IT either ...

5. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Crew member- Mc Donalds

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

^^ total understanding. Assuming you're like me and don't want to be just another stereotypical "IT guy" thanklessly twiddling away at some nameless corporation's network problems for the rest of your life. That's why I'm trying my hand at architecture/civil engineering. Having some worries at the moment over whether that's what I want to do (I love animals and biology, but am worried about trying to switch focus/make a career out of a vague-ish science... that's for another thread) but since I'm still on that architecture path atm, my job is a "Community Planning Technician" for the Navy. It's a pretty broad term for "Don't f*** up the base by building random things everywhere".

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

self employed IT Consultant/technician

8. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

You had to give up partying and playing computer games? Daaang.

9. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  10. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

but why not try to do something that includes your interests more? I guess engineering could fit that depending on the type, but i'm not sure what kind you are studying because my memory isn't that good. Anyways, I started with civil engineering, but after having to take chemistry(almost unrelated but required) and realizing how much I hate math, I switched to automotive repair. I guess I'm just trying to say try something new.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I originally wanted to join the German Air Force and become a fast movers pilot. I chickened out just before sending off the paperwork, because 13 years or Army sounded a bit much to me.

I then decided (seieng as there was no way I could afford Digipen) to do a Diploma in Software Development. This gave me a shove in the right direction, and allowed me a career. In the time I studied, I also did NOTHING else. I studied in the AM, worked (as an IT Support tech) in the PM, sat with the books in the night. The aim was to get into games dev eventually.

After my studies, I got a job as a web dev, which was possibly THE crappiest job I ever had. It did however end up landing me a job as a Developer for a Bank, which became Senior Developer wiht time.
    From there I moved into the position I am in now, and I learned a few things along the way:
    1) I discovered that I have a passion for pretty things, elegance and technicalities. The combination specifically, hence I am a passionate web developer in my spare time.
    2) I shouldn't do games development. I am not patient enough. I was asked to interview for I-Imagine the other day, and said no, because it's not my kind of job
    3) Development in the business sector is 80% comprised of cleaning up other peoples' rubbish.
    4) The IT industry is full of charlatans hoping to make a quick buck. As a consequence, you get 3) and extreme fatigue periodically.

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Exactly how many McDonald's staff are on these forums? It would be interesting to know.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't intend to make a career selling video games at minimum wage...
    Nor do I want to repair computer in a crappy shop, also at minimum wage ...

The only way I would be a 'regular IT' again is if one of my former colleague could put a good word for me to his boss at Ubisoft... then I would seriously reconsider. This place is awesome to work at. Everyone is relaxed and natural at a whole new level. The guy says that he goes to work wearing shorts and sandals and he doesn't feel bad about it because the big boss does the same ! awesome :rock:

14. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

I've been at CCL for 10 and a half years now.

I'm a buyer.

Of mainsteam VGA, Mainboards, CPU's, Cooling, Barebones, RAM, USB/Storage and some other random areas.

I enjoy it most of the time.

15. TheDoctor

TheDoctor So what seems to be the problem?

Senior Data Analyst so get to mess around with Business Objects, SQL Server, DNDirector, Web Intelligence amongst other things

16. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

IT network Admin here :)

Tho looking at he new specs of future games (high end videocards dedicated to physics) think i have to look a better job now:confused:

17. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

I'd be interested to know too, I imagine with the staff turnover there would be a fair few!

18. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

I'm an IT Engineer/Network Admin, however you want to put it. Fun stuff

19. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i am only 17 so i am a volenteer at languard fort in felxistowe as no one has paid work

good for "work experience" and i get a good refrence which i can put on my CV

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Most of those I get to mess about with as well.
    Hell, I seem to be the only one that knows ANYTHING about SQL in this place (as in my work place).
    My general work environments:
    SQL Server 2005
    Visual Studio 2008
    Lotus Notes 7/Domino Designer 7

At home it's all CODA/MAMP/Photoshop