Cooling Which 80x80 fan to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dugnas, 19 Jan 2009.

1. dugnas

dugnas What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I have this CoolerMaster passive cooler for my P4 Prescott 3.0 and I want to buy the quitest 80x80 fan that would be efficient enough to cool my CPU.

[​IMG]

My PC's specs:
    P4 Prescott 3.0;
    EPoX 4PLAI-A (3 slot fan connector only);
    1GB of DDR400;
    MSI 7600GT (passive);
    WD 80GB;
    420W Inter-Tech (12cm fan);
    Old Codegen case with zero airflow (no fans);

I'm not from UK. No Akasa or Noctua products available :duh:

So any suggestions? :eyebrow:

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'd go Hiper or Antec, and get some fan holes cut in your case, ready for when you want/need an upgrade;)

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Fan wise, Scythe or Noctua if you can afford it, Nexus if you can't.

However, I would say that introducing some air flow to the case and replacing the CPU heatsink with something a bit more substantial should be your priority if you want a quiet stable system.

notatoad likes this.
  4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

+1

Prescotts are pretty hot from what i've heard but you might get a way with a BIG passive heatsink if you have the space. I ran a Tuniq Tower 120 passively on my old overclocked C2D e6300 with only a 7 degree-ish increase idle and load. Alternatively a decent heatsink with a voltage controlled fan could be more ideal.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

+2

There's this anecdote, that you could fry eggs on a Prescott. Mmmmmm... sacrelicious! :)

I've never been able to decide which CPU actually gets/got hotter. The Prescott or the initial Pentium (60/66MHz). The latter was known as the "M&M chip". It could get so hot that it'd literally solder itself out of the board in some instances.

As for a cheap quiet fan, do you have access to Arctic Cooling in Lithuania? If so, you might take that route. They produce some very nice fans at some very low prices. It's not high-end but it gets the job done.

6. dugnas

dugnas What's a Dremel?

Exactly. My last thought was to go for a Arcitc Cooling 8L and I think I would go for it :thumb:
    But would my mobo be able to increase/decrease this fans RPM, because it is rated at 1500RPM? :eyebrow:

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If your motherboard has some sort of fan speed control everything should be OK since the speed is regulated by changing the voltage. At 12V the fan should run at its rated speed of 1500RPM. At lower voltages it'll run that much slower.