Cooling Which fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geek1017, 30 May 2003.

1. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Like the title says. What 120mm fan would be best for my new (Thank you haddy) Black Ice Xtreme?

I'm looking at those Aluminum cased fans but can't find a place that sells them. I'm in the US btw.
    Your opinions please.

Oh and also, which is better: Pushing air through the rad or Pulling it through?

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

A lot of people seem to go for Papst or Panaflo for their good cfm to dB ratio. From what I have read pulling the air thru the radiater has been the choice of many. I guess experimentation will be the only way to find out which is best.

3. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Well BIX is rated for 100CFM going through it to reach its peak preformence zin type zone so try to go for a heafty fan....Also with 2 fans *pushing and pulling* you will just be helping the one reach its highest cfm ratio you can actually add the 2 fans cfm rating together....

This is really the reason I never used it...Not the best for a quiet system...

4. geek1017

So I need high CFM for peak performance.
    I guess I will be putting in a rheostat then.
    I wasn't planning on 2 fans but I might be able to squeeze them in.
    Do they have to be the same kind of fan? same CFM?

5. geek1017

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Doesnt need to be the same fan but like I said one is only going to be helpign the other get its max cfm...

Yea hwlabs recommended 100CFM for the radiator back when I was trying to get a table together of all the cfm rec for alot of the most popular radiators....Needless to say hwlabs was the only one to respond besides dtekcustoms...

39dBa is pretty quiet...For 92cfm anyway...I would try to disable the sensor and hardwire it to run at full speed as what the temp of the case is has nothing to do with what speed you want that fan running at..

7. geek1017

Haddy
    I was wondering if the above fan with the thermal sensing has it's own thermasistor which could be placed on the rad or not?
    Or maybe just have it mounted pulling air through the rad so that the warmer the incomming air is the faster it'll spin?
    Or does it simply read the motherboard sensors somehow?

Oh and I'm going to be ducting the rad so that it is a loop of air that does not enter the case (hopefully).

Tags: