Peripherals whitch sound card - should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Branko, 23 May 2011.

1. Branko

Branko What's a Dremel?

I build new pc most of my use is gaming and movie watching no recording or stuff like this.

I have now creative xtreme music (its 6 years old) and headset Razer barracuda HP-1

So probably noob question -should i get asus xonar ds or dx ?(its around my budget)

Thx for any advice.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Classic card the xtreme music, still have mine but alas had to go due to SLI upgrade! :waah:

I just got an ASUS D2X up and running and I'm really picking out sounds in games and music I never noticed before. Hearing coolant spilling over the floor in Alien Swarm is the latest audiophile revelation. It really is a quality card although it does take a little patience setting it up via the Xonar control panel!

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

DS - PCI, Budget
    D1 - PCI, Standard
    DX - PCI-E, Standard
    The DS is a cut-down version of the DX as a PCI card, while the D1 is identical to a full-fat DX but with a PCI connector instead of PCI-E.
    Some motherboard chipsets such as the 680i had resource conflict issues with the Xonar DX, I'm not sure if those problems were ever ironed out. If you're worried, the D1 may be the safest bet. You won't lose out on anything either way.

I'm not sure quite how the xtremeMusic compares to the DS/D1, but if you're going to get a Xonar and you're not interested in Dolby Digital processing the DS probably offers you better value for money than the D1/DX.

Here's bit-tech's opinion:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/sub-100-gaming-sound-card-reviews/1
    Just beware that the review credits ASUS with excellent continued driver support for the Xonars, which isn't true at all; and I'm not sure that it ever was, either..

From another thread:

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  4. Branko

Branko What's a Dremel?

THX guys 4 yours advices.Am not sure yet but i ill get probably asus DX its around my budget

D2X its nice but its little bit more $$$$ :)

Refubrished DX i can get at Ebay around 60$ its looks like fair price.