1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress White SG09 with power and watercooling

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Fruergaard, 12 Feb 2013.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh my! What a clean and stunning colour combo! Top job!

2. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

holy sh*t.
    That motherboard, Ive never seen anything like that before. The pics look like renders.

Really clean build. Loving the colours.
    Nils put green and white sleeve in the pack I received as testers, Didnt think It'd look as good as that

3. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

Now THATS what i call a cool color concept..! :thumb:

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Wow. Ive also got a white motherboard in my sig rig. But i didnt actually paint the mobo itself!!!! Good work :)

5. Fruergaard

Fruergaard What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys, sorry it have been such a long time since my last update, but due to Holidays it have been more difficult to get the last parts (which isn't even here yet).

But I got some new information to share;
    First of to those who questioned the painted motherboard;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had it out of the case and tested the board with a H100 and the GPU's on air along the RAM and sleeved PSU.
    And it worked just fine, even in stress tests and I did game in quite some time that night :)

Other than that I got the two radiators installed as well;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (not the best picture, sorry for that)

Once again the Moonson fittings just fits perfectly with the green and white colors :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Other than that, I waiting on some parts to get shipped.
    The motherboard and CPU will get upgraded to an I7 3930k and Rampage IV Gene (will also get colored white and green).
    This upgrade is due to the low bandwidth on the current card (only PCI-e 2.0 x8) which is a bottleneck with the 3xU2711 resolution.

GPU power will also get upgraded, which cards and who many is still in question.
    I will update you once again, when new parts arrive :)

OOH, also, I am looking at building a waterchiller from some 380w TEC (not final yet) :)
    And the CPU it self will also get a TEC to cool it to even lower temps to get higher OC ;)

6. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

Ive got a bit a problem with this build to be honest...

- I thinks its just a little too awesome.

- The colours are too awesome.

- Mobo - too awesome.

- It makes my rig feel insecure at about her appearance.

:grr:

:waah:

:D

7. Fruergaard

Hi, I'm sorry that I haven't posted for some time, but there haven't been that much to post about, since my time have been very limited, and the free time have been used to get another "chilling" project up and running with some TECs.

You can se more of that here, and since the chiller will be used on this build, there will also be some smaller updates in here (but the main info and question will be in the other thread, thanks :)
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=264625

The following was planed for the SG09 build long ago to get some lower temps when at home, but still able to travel with the case without this big side show :D
    [​IMG]

And yes, that is a Phobya External Radiator "Bench edition" stand, along with a D5 pump in a EKWB X-RES 140mm housing that have been spray painted white.
    The stand only comes in black, and I ran out of paint on a Saturday, and haven't come much further since :(
    BUT it will get painted just as white as all the rest :)
    Then pump will also get a slap of paint. Not sure if I should go green on it or white like the rest.
    (what do you think?)

On the other side we got a 9x120mm radiator that is 45mm thick, along the 120mm fans from Antec :D
    [​IMG]

I think that the plexi fans are looking really well with the rest, and I will look much better when the radiator stand will get all white.
    The fans (there are 47 more of the) are towards the TEC experiment and was sponsored by Antec along some other stuff like a lot of thermal paste.
    So a big thanks to Antec :D

Another package came this Friday including some of the best looking fittings right now (I do to think that acrylic tubing and fittings looks nice, but for me Monsoon fittings and their colors are stuff :D )
    So thanks to Monsoon for sponsoring some fittings for the chiller project :)
    [​IMG]

If we take a closer look at the pump/reservoir, you can see that it's not normal water cooling water that is running round in the little loop.
    [​IMG]
    I have always liked the way that some colorful crystals was floating around in a liquid up in chemistry lap.
    But most of those crystals was either expensive or very toxic :(
    So when I saw that Mayhems had made a similar product for watercooling, I new I had to have it.
    The liquid is Mayhems Green Aurora.
    (pump settings was "1" = the lowest)

But the Aurora is not ideally for this chiller experiment, so when that time comes, I will have found something more suitable.
    The Aurora is for the looks in the SG09 build ;-)
    Not sure if it will work as planed due to the may 90 degrees fittings, radiators and blocks, but I have to test right ;-)
    Also to me it is a little to white, so I will properly get a green dye to make it a bit darker (if it works).

Doesn't those beautiful Monsoon fittings deserve a picture in focus?, I do believe so :D
    [​IMG]

Now before we end this update, some of you may think; "that painting will get you higher temps".
    And yes, that is correct, BUT the SG09 builds hardware (it will maximum become two R9 290 and a I7 3930k) doesn't really require a radiator like that (I think the 180mm and 120mm rad should do the job), but I really like silence (or my girl does), so I got the radiator just to be sure (it will get quick release fittings so that when going for a Lan, it's easy to disconnect, and I think the two other rads will cool the setup just fine :D).

As for the chiller, one of these is clearly not enough for the amount of heat I will put into that loop (properly around 4000W).
    But more on that in the other thread :D

Next is to get a new PWM DDC pump (the other one burned on me) and get the things installed and hooked up to the loop (needs a few holes to drill) and get the plexi glass windows cut out and installed.
    Also some sleeving needs to be done :D

Just as a closing picture (don't stare to long at it), the structure of the radiator stand and radiator in background:
    [​IMG]

8. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

i didn't like the idea of a external rad in a small case like that.
    But BY GOD that is a beautiful external rad making me change my mind
    i mean the one on top of the case

9. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

Nice work mate.
    I just would like to make point that I think that limited bandwith to the gpu´s might be the last problem you have with 3x 1440p monitors. For shure it´s not the optimum but I´d say It´s just a couple percent you would loose compared to a fully 16/16 pcie 3.0 setup.

10. Fruergaard

Hi all

Now with Christmas over and exams, I'm once again back to hopefully finish this build and the TEC cooler.
    Also Happy New Year :)

This update isn't a big one, but I am in need of your help :)

First of, I got the plexi for the window cut out.
    [​IMG]

Just like the windows for my Unobtainable, these have been cut down at the edge a little mm, so that plexi has a smooth transition from the case to the window.
    It turned out just fine last time, and hopefully just at great this time :thumb:
    (will get them install tomorrow).

About the help;
    As an above post, I'm doing a TEC chiller, and to do that I need some sort waterblock for the TECs.
    Currently I got this designed;
    [​IMG]

This will be in copper and it is 6mm high (with the squares 4mm(height)x2mmx2mm) and will get a acrylic top.
    I'm not at big water flow engineer, so if you got any ideas for at better water block for the TECs, please let me know (you can see more at the TEC thread) :thumb:

I actually doesn't have any more today (will get the windows installed tomorrow) :D

Also, I just wanted to share my parents dog in it's sleeping position last weekend (she was really far away in dreamland :D)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  11. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

nothing but respect for what you have done top notch

12. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Awesome paint job and I like the choice of colour. Keep it up.

13. Wirecase

Wirecase What's a Dremel?

Really nice color choice, your project is coming along nicely!

14. Fruergaard

Long time since, and a lot have been done :)

But pictures says more than words so here we go:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how the water gets out of the case (I think it looks great :D):
    [​IMG]

And a few shots of the inside. I do like how the colors comes together :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures and lightning is not perfect, due to my apartment is under reconstruction so my usually photo spot is filled up with boxes.
    So it looks better in real life, especially the mayhems aurora looks really cool and still going strong even though there is many 90 degrees fittings.
    May look after their new version 2.0 of the aurora.

I would have liked to have the whole build watercooled for you, but the EKWB waterblock + back plate for the GFX has been delayed a bit :-/
    Even though the new EKWB back plates are plan simple, I will add the original CSQ circles to it to color them green like the GTX 670 from earlier.

So there is a lot of small stuff that needs to be fixed before it's done.
    The PSU will get back in (used in a mining rig right now) and the last wires sleeved.
    Some small spots needs to get repainted again and a few new things painted to.
    Also some temperature sensors will get installed on top (green LED).
    Pump may be changed to a D5 PWM pump instead if there is room for it :D

My original plan was to use a EKWB DDC X-res 100 under the PSU, but my measurements where 2mm of :-/
    I then remembered a mod where the reservoir was on top the case, and thought that would look good with the aurora (which for me it does).
    Though the reservoir could be 3 cm longer so that I could use 90 degrees fittings (more clean look), but the tube will be placed along the sides of the 180mm radiator with some clips to look more clean.

So I hope you like the looks so far, I believe it will become even better when the GFX will get watercooled and all the small stuff will get made :D
    And perhaps a GFX more ;)

(The other side with the big window is done, but cant be installed due to bad/low placement of the RM750 PSU power input).

15. Farsan

Farsan What's a Dremel?

Great mod! waiting you to finish it and show us the results...