1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Why is an IPS cheaper than a TN?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alpaca, 10 Dec 2011.

1. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I was looking for a new screen the other day, and with all the stories around IPS panels, I kinda wanted one. Now, while browsing trough the screens on my webshop, I found the LG IPS235V, which has a IPS-panel, and the LG E2381VR which has a TN-panel.

("uitgebreide specificaties" shows the specifications. Its Dutch)

The curious thing about those two is that they are almost identical, exept for the panel. And the one with the supposedly cheaper and lousier TN-panel is €10 more expensive. Any wild guesses what the cause may be?

Also, is there any appreciable difference between the IPS235 and the IPS236?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't know the differences, but that's just marketing at work. They're probably advertising the response times.

3. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Could be a number of reasons. LG are making a good number of those IPS panels , so potentially it's a saving as bulk gives a cheaper /unit price.

Also, other things that specs don't reveal, such as the even-ness and quality of the backlight (yes, they're both LED, but which is better?). It might just be that Alternate just have a better deal on the IPS from their suppliers.

Obviously though, it's a no brainer which of the two to choose - the IPS.

However, I'd look at potentially importing it (no VAT/import taxes between EU member states), as similar LG monitors (like the 225V (the 22" version) is only £123.95 (144 EUR)...

alpaca likes this.
  4. rieh

rieh What's a Dremel?

I would go with the IPS as well. The TN is probably priced higher because of its design - they might think it will sell more to people who just buy products based on their style, instead of doing heavy research on specs.

alpaca likes this.
  5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Tnx for answering, Probably a combination of the reasons :) i was only wondering.

And any of you know what the difference is between the ips235and the ips236? Or is it only the looks?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The reason why the LG E2381VR is more expensive, is because, this is the new "super-thin" displays. I like those. Let's Remove the circuit internals from the back of the monitor and put it in a larger stand base, and put the power adapter outside. That's like the marketing team design such monitors. People sees the thinnest of the monitor, and completely ignore the fact that the base is larger then what it should be, plus it takes even more room, as you need space on the back for the DVI cable (which will stick out and be ugly as crap on your table). Byt wtv it looks cool on the box and pictures. So it's sold at a higher price.

If you see this video:
    You can see this is a really old LCD monitor, notice how thin the LCD monitor is, as the guy shows the panel. It's the same thickness than a laptop screen (ok well laptop screen is a bit thinner, mostly due that it's much newer. No one is insane enough to break open a new, quality monitor, just for YouTube video)

As for the IPS235 vs IPS236V. I can't find any information on the LG IPS235 in English (beside LG web site of course). From what I can conclude, is hat the IPS235 is a newer model, and has 2 year warranty instead of 1. Beside the looks, I can't see any difference (I didn't check reviews).

What I did notice is that high-end TN panels are indeed more expensive than an entry level IPS panels. I guess, either it's aimed at gamer, so they can charge more for the "gamer" claim, or they go with response time with low input lag, or it really cost more to produce a high-end TN panel, compared to an entry level IPS panels. (Of course the entry level IPS panel is better than TN). Please note that their is budget IPS panel, which are bellow entry level IPS panel, which I don't consider.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

this is the model with the good stand and no glossy C**P any where to bother your eyes.
    LG IPS231P-BN

I use two at work OMG so much better then the Cheep Dell 19" I had before.

alpaca likes this.
  8. GoodBytes

Yup, that the LG model I recommend, if you want a entry IPS panel.

@MSHunter, probably it's the jump from TN to IPS panel. Well, old TN to IPS. I am telling you, going to IPS panels is a curse, you can't go back to TN's :)

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
    alpaca likes this.
  9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Oh god no its a much older one with the plastic stand with the slit in the middle

10. GoodBytes

My posted was edited, (changed what I wanted to say), but ok. Yea that doesn't help. LCD came a long way over the years.

MSHunter likes this.
  11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yeah you sniped me again :p
    BTW thanks for all the IPS info really helped me with my Monitors :D

Would be great to get you big write up on IPS vs TN sticky-ed So that more people can benefit it is quite hard to find or maybe a link in you sig?

Yeah LCD have come a long way, Though I miss knowing the Dot pitch on Screens these days, it still makes a difference with LCD/IPS how small the dot pitch is.

Edit: this is not my day just say that it has already been stick-ed :D

Last edited: 11 Dec 2011
  12. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Tnx for your answers :) have some rep you all

13. GoodBytes

Thanks.
    Correction to my post #8... I said "budget" instead of "entry". Corrected now.

Tags: