1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Why you should insist on USB 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Mar 2012.

1. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

For clarification:

I have the Gigabyte ga-78lmt s2p.

And a 550TI.

2. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Surely you have another PCIe slot you can use? My PCIe x1 sound card is in one of my full length PCIe x4 slots. You did know you could do that right?

EDIT: Oh... Get a new motherboard.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2012
  3. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Bah. I thought only Apple called it Thunderbolt... In any case, intel wants to remove chips from inside the cables, which means that at some point the optical emitter will move into the PC chassis, at which point it will likely piggyback USB2/3/4 connectors for power and housing as per original plans.

4. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

Bought one of those Asus U3S6 cards a while ago as I didn't want the hassle of a motherboard change and I have to agree USB3 is very nice, shame I didn't pick up a USB3 external before the HDD prices went nuts.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The reason Thunderbolt (or LightPeak, as it was called, when it was originally developed as an optical transport layer) hasn't catched on is that it was only introduced last year, and as a favour by Intel to Apple as an Apple exclusive. This year we'll see it on PCs. However, it's quite a costly solution/chip. Furthermore, the Thunderbolt/LightPeak tech is completely controlled by Intel, which may also hamper its widespread adoption.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

why isnt there a test of USB2 drive in USB3 slot?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

ssj12, because USB2 drive connected to USB3 connector uses the USB2 pins in the USB3 connector, which means it will have USB2 speeds, so it would be ultimately pointless ?

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

If it looks like 2 sockets side-by-side, it's probably the standard micro-USB3 socket & cable. I bought a USB3 2.5" external HDD (it matches my netbook, even though my netbook doesn't have USB3 support my desktop does) and at first I thought it was some proprietary connector. Then I tried a standard USB2 micro cable and it fitted perfectly into one of the sockets, so backwards compatibilty with micro USB2 cables works perfectly. There's 2 sockets as USB3 has 8 wires inside the cable to USB2's 4 (for bi-directional transfer as mentinoed in the article). I guess there wasn't the space or reliability to integrate micro USB3 cables to the same size as existing USB2 and side-by-side to allow device manufacturers to keep products thin. Try it out though - I'm guessing it'll be fine.

9. ut66

ut66 What's a Dremel?

disgusting suit pigs.... no standard PCI-Express 3.0 USB 3.0, Light Peak, thunderbolt etc, i might as well use my old mobo, at least it has IDE!

10. ut66

ut66 What's a Dremel?

got a new 1155 mobo. guess wut? i choosed no sata6, no usb3! > GA-H61M-S2V-B3 . super expensive wr i leve ( 97 usd yep crap country) the usb3 version? insanely expensive! (x2)

11. ut66

ut66 What's a Dremel?

12. Tekified

Tekified What's a Dremel?

I've just ordered the Kingston HyperX 64GB USB 3.0. Blazingly fast Speed - USB 3.0: 225MB/s read and 135MB/s write. Pricey but not a bad investment as its a cut above most current USB 3.0 drives out there.

13. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

The write speed for usb 3.0 seems a bit dissapointing and far from "miles faster" then usb 2.0 devices. Like i think a usb stick is mostly used for writing stuff on and sometimes read from it, the need for USB 3.0 isn't that great.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

USB3 has no write speed issues. Your flash device has. Put an SSD in USB3 bracket and you will have quick writes.

Do not blame the interface for your poor choice of the device. It is like blaming the Maximus IV Extreme board for the poor performance of Celeron G440, because you bought that single core CPU instead of i7-2700K.

Tags: Add Tags