1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Will the PS3 see a price drop?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Jul 2007.

1. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Kotaku are reporting several employees from major US retailers like circuit city are reporting the new adverts they are getting in / new price lists are all listing $499. Has there even been any hint of rumour about a price drop outside of the U.S. though ?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Yerp, Target have certain stores breaking the 15th Embargo.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

That is just stupid. The console is a veichle which needs its own profit. So manufactures of PC's (&components) and DVD players or Video Recorders are to sell their machines and gain no profit??? and only take a share of th profit from DVD's and software sales only??

Thats what your saying. And you think that MS should reduce the price on the 360 if they are now making money? If they did that so that they dont make money then why bother wasting time in making it in the first price. MS is a hungry corp that is there to make money and not make you happy.

4. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I believe there will be a price cut on the 360!!!

Take for instance play.com have been selling the premium for £229.99 recently (although if u go to get instore deals, u can get 2 games with it for an extra £50 which is a better deal as u will inevitably need games, so the £50 off the console price, which u are so called saving is not really).... But it does point towards a price cut.... And with the new microsoft care for 3 years that can only be good.

What with Sony rumours of a 80gb model of the PS3, and the current state of it's games, not to mention its price, and possibly useless Blue Ray play back, it really is not looking good in the playstation camp.

As for a PS3 price cut, well it's very much needed, and that said even more so if the 360 decide to cut what is already a winner?!?

5. DougEdey

80GB has been confirmed for the korean market because they have more stuff to download then us. Same reason why the US has the 120GB HDD/Elite now and we don't

6. kempez

kempez modding again!

Keep getting tempted to get a PS3 and the only thing that holds me back is the sheer amount of cashage...mebbe this will convince me (along with a game I actually want to play :p)

7. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Those $100 won't come down until christmas, Sony will most assuredly try to milk as much money as they can from the PS3 and then boost christmas sales with the price reduction. That is, of course, if they want to sell a bit, given that the $600 mark is getting a bit old and too expensive for that hardware, no matter how innovative it is!! Personally, I'm not getting a PS3 in the next 1.5 years, I wouldn't settle for the good games available now, I'm waiting for the GREAT games.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Really then it seems a bit odd to anounce them now surely that would hit sales for the next 4 months! :D

9. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

lol, my crystal ball seems to be faulty... :duh: still, the new price affects USA only, so we're left out in the cold here in Europe. I really doubt Sony will take 100€ off the PS3 here, which leaves us with an already over expensive console (when compared to JAP or USA) until the holiday season...

Guess they need to cash back from all those blue laser diodes!!

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

True just means now the PS3 is £50 more overpriced

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I like the art work of the new 80gb PS3 package with Motor storm posted in the other Ps3 price cut thread where it was confirmed.

12. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Give it a rest on the overpriced bit. If you don't want you don't want it. It's pretty annoying that nothing is enough for people with Sony. If they undercut the 360 you would probably just complain about the games.

The posters over on kotaku also seem to have a hard time reading. They seem to have understood the 80GB model as $100 for only 20 additional gb of space (Without Motorstorm lol), and that the 60gb is "inferior" because of it's lack of space (A whopping 20gb). People these days, seem to look for anything to complain about now. It's good the price has come down, and I see it as very competitive with the 360 Elite now, and maybe slightly competive with the Premium.

13. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

apparently its confirmed

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/09/0253236

reading slashdot this morning and apparently the $499 PS3 is confirmed, though it is slashdot so the words pinch and salt come to mind

if its true, then :-

14. DougEdey

Just so everyone knows, the 80GB version does not have the EE chip, so all emulation for PS2 is going to be Software based.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I thought Emotion was already removed, or was that for PAL units only?

16. DougEdey

PAL only

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

100usd is a lot but still not enough for me to buy one

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apparently, a UK-related announcement is expected Thursday...

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Gamestop had a used 20GB PS3 on sale for $360. I thought, "Wow!, I might actually buy it", but the thought was only for a split second when my conscious came into play. Anyways, they had a used 60GB PS3 for $450, which I thought would be a pretty good steal if the console had any games.

Tags: Add Tags