1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Will you buy an iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M7ck, 30 Jan 2010.

?

Can you see yourself buying an iPad

1. Yes

10.3%
  2. No

80.0%
  3. Maybe

9.7%
  1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i currently see no need for it at all, i have an iphone and the ipad gives me nothing extra on top. however, once they start releasing some genuinely killer apps then they might b on to something. shame that the masses will just buy it because it's apple.

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I wouldn't buy it on principle it sounds like a tampon but in the end it's not useful. I have my phone and then I have my laptop, their utility overlaps. Any need I that the iPad could fulfill is already done by one, the other, or both.

3. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Regardless of whether it is just a poll or not, I was merely pointing out that whilst at the moment, it is all nice and civil, the longer any thread mentioning Apple continues, the odds that it will descend into a flamewar becomes ever closer to 1.

I'm not trying to turn it into a flamewar and don't want it to, hence my suggestion to lock it before it happens. All I'm trying to say is that flameage, whilst not desirable is almost certainly inevitable due to the nature of the subject.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I have a netbook and an iPod Touch, so no.

5. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Useless. No.

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I have a laptop with both Linux and Win7 on it that I take everywhere and use. So no.

Also, since this is the "first second generation"(going on how the previous tablets offered kinda flopped, aka "first gen") tablet out there I think I will wait until the third or fourth generation come out. Unfortunately though by that time I will be out of college where they could be incredibly useful.

7. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I might, but I'd rather save for a mac pro...

8. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I would if it had flash support. Oh yeah it has a youtube app but what about the 500 other video sites you cant use? Or nice flash games to play?
    As always apple build a nice piece of gear with a mayor flaw!

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

No. I do however somewhat fancy an ultra-portable tablet even I don't really have use for a touch screen.

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I'd agree with the negative aspects of what barndoor101's just pointed out, if it wasn't for the fact that I want Farmville players to suffer...

12. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

...and the wunch of bankers who use google finance ;)

13. AngusW

AngusW mmm

I won't be buying one. I cant actually justify the price, i dont like touch screen things, i'm a nerd that takes a laptop everywhere and im not even that much of a fan of smart phones. The size of it aswell means i'd prefer just using a laptop. I'm sure it'll be a sucessful flavour of the month type product though.

14. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

I would buy if it alowed java:rock:

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Too expensive and ultimately irrelevant to me. No doubt it will sell in it's millions. There are plenty of people who are Apple freaks. Then there are plenty of people who are gadget freaks. Then there will be a few who may actually have a use for it.

But for me it can't do anything either a phone (not an iPhone) or a laptop can't do. So it's a very expensive toy. I could go on holiday for the same as even the cheapest one. I know which I'd get more value from....

16. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

i wouldnt say im anti apple but i hate the way how they closely control everything they make, How you end up paying for the apple name and how my current rig is way cheaper then the top end mac and performs far better.
    however

i want an ipad

Maybe its because i dont own a laptop and how i dont like laptops.
    An ipad just seems to fill the right gap for me, its portable and performs any task i would need to do while not at my pc. Sure it has downsides but for me i believe it would fill a need

Never in a million years did i think i would say that about an apple product

It just needs to come down in cost and be jail broken

17. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

how could you hate laptops and not the ipad? It's just a netbook sans keyboard at best. If it's because of the touch interface there are plenty touchscreen laptops out there at least every major pc manufacturer offers a model or two. If Lenovo offered this tablet with some beefier internals(Intel C2D PXXX or AMD Turion Ultra, ATI graphics) I would be on it faster than a fat kid sprinting for the last piece of cheesecake.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  18. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

I dont hate laptops just dislike the general purpose of them, trying to be a portable desktop.
    If i want to sit down and do some serious work i will do it on the comfort of my desktop.
    I want something i can walk around with, take where ever and use where ever, i cant say stand up and use a laptop (not without great discomfort to my arms anyway)
    I guess it comes down to your personal life style and what you would use 1 for.

If i wanted to do some light reading say when waiting for a bus, this would be perfect a laptop wouldnt.
    If i wanted to check emails while rushing around getting ready for work, this be perfect.
    If im at work and stuck somewhere without a pc and needed to access the net for something, sure a laptop would work but an ipad would be far quicker.

Im trying to argue that an ipad is useful when the general consensus is that its not and that laptop's are fail when most of the general population would say otherwise, guess i aint gonna make sense to alot of people heh

On topic thou the only thing concerns me with the ipad is carrying it around and also having a smart phone, i can see me using my phone for most of the things i would of brought the ipad for.

19. Nashua

Nashua What's a Dremel?

eh.... no. It seems like a classic example of jack of all trades and master of none. I am sure some people like the idea of having all possible features packed in one device but it is not for me. I like the idea of tablet though and with windows 7 supporting touchscreen I hope to see some interesting (and not as overpriced) products soon.

20. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

I can't see the point of it, it has no flash so is pretty hamstrung from the start. Its not all that powerful and you would think that it would have a reasonable amount of memory.

I really cant see why anybody who already has a mobile device would need one.