Windows Win 7 OEM S/N Fresh Install.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denis_iii, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

My laptop came with Win 7 preinstalled + a recovery partition.
    Can I use my Windows 7 full version retail DVD with the Win7 OEM S/N that came with the laptop to do a fresh install?

2. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes it will work, But you MIGHT need to do a phone activation. Usually the product key on the system displayed isn't the same as the one you are using in your system, and is deactivated.
    It's deactivated by default (but ready to be activated over the phone) else it's too easy to grab some free licenses of Win7. Just go at any store that sale laptops and desktops, and just write down the product number.

From what I am being told from others, you just call, say that you re-installed Windows, and using the product key under your laptop, and your set.

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I've got the product number on my laptop, but want to do a clean install from Win7 retail disk so get rid of the OEM recover partition and the changes they have applied to the image.

Thanks for the feedback guys, think I will test with a VM prior to wiping everything.

I don't know why but I was always under the impression that Windows OEM S/N didn't work with Windows retail box media.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I can't see why it wouldn't work. A windows 7 install is a windows 7 install basically, only the license differentiates. Source of the install shouldn't matter in this case.

And if you do neeed tor ing Microsoft (I have quite a few times), you get through to an automated service. Type in the code your pc gives you, then ask them to text/read you the activation code. No need to explain why or anything :)

6. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Forgive me if I'm wrong (and I quite possibly might be, as I'm going on a vague memory here), but it might depend on WHOM the OEM is supplied by. I thought that certain laptop manufacturers purchased a number of licenses from Microsoft with somewhat 'customised' versions (how I don't know) of Windows and these keys were tied to that kind of install, so a fresh Retail disc would not work with the code, as the code would not be entered against the expected version of install.

This may have been something unique to Vista perhaps, or maybe even XP. It may just be bizarre mumblings from the back of my brain however, but I thought it worth putting here because it might be true and someone else on here with better 'little grey cells' might be able to comment?

Edit: I am very interested in finding out if this is true though, as it would be very handy to be able to do fresh installs using the OEM license code...

7. GoodBytes

The version that has the keys deactivated and can't be activated, are system that provdies you with Windows disk. Also these disk are customized released by Microosft, to work ONLY on a specified brand of computer (it checks via BIOS).
    This is what my Dell laptop has. It came with Vista OS disk (I know, very rare), the OS is pre-activated, and license is only works on this Dell laptop. Sadly as 99.99% of manufacture, and now Dell as well, only give you a recovery partition, it is safe to assume that it will work. I wish Microosft would push OEM to provide consumer the OS disk fro ALL their laptop with Win8. But I have a string feeling that this will never happen.

8. greypilgers

I have noticed the increasing occurrences of no discs being provided, and then the first time you boot the laptop up, you get a message telling you that you have to make the recovery disc yourself, and that you can only do it once...

Cost-cutting, I suppose, but a bit cheeky when you've spent at least several hundred notes on a new laptop...

9. GoodBytes

Agreed, and let alone also buisness class laptop. You pay a lot more for stringer build quality, cooler operating, better engineering, non-glossy, better warranty service, and well.. OS disk.
    But no more OS disk. Despite the fact that I'll be glad to cash out for it. Even if it's 10-15$ more. Just give me the option!

10. greypilgers

Amen, brother...

;)