1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 8.1 Update - a question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shielder, 12 Nov 2013.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Okay, so the wife's yoga is on 8.1, but my laptop is still on 8. I made a mistake when I upgraded hers in that I didn't know about the local account workaround on the update screen. Happily, it reinstalled her apps.. (happily for me that is:))

Anyway, I use local accounts on all my computers. My laptop local account is not an administrator, so my question is, will the computer recognise that there is an administrator on the computer, plus a local user account when I 'upgrade' to 8.1? All I can find on the MS website is information inferring it was on a single user computer.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Andy

P.S. I'm not allowed to have an MS login account or use Skydrive.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 8.1 will force you to have a Microsoft account, if I recall correctly. But you can switch to Local in the PC Settings, by hitting on "Disconnect" under the accounts section.

I don't know about multiple accounts.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it tried to make one of my pcs use a Microsoft account, but gave me the option not too

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

When I updated my computer form 8 to 8.1, it tried to force me into a Microsoft account. I prefer to use a local account, but when I tried to get around the Microsoft account I had no luck. By happenstance, I incorrectly entered my Microsoft account credentials, and when the login didn't work I got the option to proceed with a local account.

When I updated my wife's computer, I intentionally used a bogus login to force the updater to give me the local account option.

It's a nuisance, but it should work.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't mind using a Microsoft account... because I get to use SkyDrive.
    But that is ONLY because I wanted my desktop and laptop experience to be in sync. And makes it easier if I need to re-install, my laptop, I won't have to reconfigure my WiFi over again everywhere I go (parents, home, school, etc), everything is in sync.

I have nothing personal per say on my SkyDrive directory. I just have homework stuff, class notes, and so on. Personal data, or important data are out.