1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If true, I can't help but think this will really make XBONE the red headed stepchild of Redmond.

Elop made his money in phones, it's what he knows, and if he's been put in that position it's to push Windows phone. Sure the XBONE isn't going away any time soon, but it's also not going to be getting much attention from the boss, either.

Flip side of that is the hardware is out, it's basically R&D and maintenance for the next 5 years until it's time to stare developing the next "next generation console".

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or just transfer the Xbox onto Surface 10, or what ever number they are on by the time the Xbox needs a refresh. I cant see consoles lasting past this generation, not in the there current form anyhow.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You know Elop worked at MS for close to 3 years before Nokia right?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

People said the same thing ages ago. Yet, it still doing fine.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If there is one thing that can be said of the XBONE, it's that it is not a game console "in current form". It is aiming to set a whole new direction beyond faster, prettier, higher resolution versions of the previous generation of console. Whether it gets it right or not, it is trying to do something different. So chances are that it may have more potential in the long run.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They did :confused:, is it safe to assume you mean that consoles wouldn't last ?
    Or that Microsoft would move the core features of the Xbox onto a tablet or phone ?

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There was a reason why Apple got rid of it in iOS, you know. And boy, did we never hear the end of that one.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As a Flash developer. I am not surprised. I am actually impressed. I expected to be much worse than this.

Flash development died the moment Adobe bought Macromedia. What I don't get, is if you (Adobe) don't care about Flash, why keep it closed. Make the language open source, and sale your authoring software. Flash would have been far better optimized, far better secured, and because you have a leap in advancement in the development tool, you can sale that. And much like Visual Studio with C/C++, you can make massive amount of money. C/C++ is open, but Visual Studio is so good, that companies are willing to cash out several thousands of dollars, no problem, for every computer that is used by devs.

Flash would have a life, and probably Adobe would be making a lot more money now.
    But Adobe is too busy firing employees with experience, to hire new one (new grads), to keep wages low. No wonder development of Adobe programs are incredibly slow, and full of bugs and issues.

As soon as someone makes a viable alternative to PhotoShop, and a Final Cut Pro like program for Windows, Adobe is pretty much gone.

They are not even active at fixing security holes with Flash... all they do is wait for mass security flaw to spread everywhere, and then Adobe goes: "Arrrggg we have this Flash thing.... mmmmaaaaannn... pffffffffff..... yyyyeeaaaa.... Maybe in a few months, I might have a look into it... maybe... if I feel like it" type of attitude.

If you don't care, either kill it off, or make it open. If you make it open, at least the work would be done for you.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Depending on what you want to do, there actually are some decent alternatives for Photoshop. What Photoshop has going for it is legacy and the fact that it does so many things so well.

As for an alternative to Premiere, you don't have to look for a Final Cut Pro for Windows. There are actually several alternatives, many of which are used in the video production industry. Sony Vegas and Avid are two that immediately come to mind.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So when they said they were changing search in W8.1 I cringed. For me search in W8 worked well, I could search something and have it immediately appear and it was nice.

I used to be able to search "Disk Defrag" and the option would appear. Now I was a little surprised today that when I searched it under "Everywhere" nothing appeared. Now I know the option appears under settings as "Defragment and Optimise your drives" but this has never been an issue before. If I switch the search options to "Settings" it appears instantly.

Search also appears to be slower generally with initial search results still showing that are no longer relevant for a couple of seconds.

Minor gripes I know, but they still affect my overall user experience, or just generally a PITA when the search feature worked previously on W8 for me.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

'Other' seems to be taking over from XP around Jan 14. I'll assume that's android since iOS is included as a desktop OS.

18. narwen

narwen narwen

i wonder if the xp percentage includes atm and pos.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Think it also includes W8.1

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!