1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Pro promotion >> ENDED <<

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoodBytes, 31 Dec 2012.

1. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you installed windows 8 and applied the free media center pack, when you come to reinstall which key do you use? As I ran magic jelly bean last night to double check I wasn't using the same key twice as I have numerous windows 8 keys now and it said my key was the one that I was sent to add media center and not the key I installed windows 8 with.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No idea. I think you can try a key, if it doesn't work, you should have an option to enter different key on the activation box.

I would try the media center key first.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've just used these steps: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/16077-media-center-remove-go-back-windows-8-pro.html To restore my Window 8 Media Center activated installation back to vanilla Windows 8 Pro. It's seems to have activated fine using the original W8 licence key and is showing as being activated with that key rather than the Media Center one.

4. GoodBytes

I think what modd1uk wanted, is if you re-install Windows 8 from scratch (let's say you got a new SSD or HDD), how do you get back Windows 8 Pro with Media Center? Which product key do you use to get it? Do you install Win8 Pro, and then go to Add Features and enter the Media Center key? (which should work), or can go you straight to it, by entering the received product key in Windows 8 setup, and end up with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center already installed.

5. wolfticket

I think this.
    What I did was essentially a reinstall and reactivation of Win 8 Pro without Media Center. I used the original licence key and it worked fine. I then added Media Center through add features again (albeit with a different key (today is the actual last day acording to the new email :) )), and that worked fine too.

I sort of read the question as whether the new media center key replaces the original key, something which I was also interested in.
    I think what I did shows the original key is still valid even once media center is added and activated. Not sure whether the media center key would work off the bat.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah its confused me slightly as like I said jelly bean reports my windows product key as being the media center key.

7. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Nero 11 does work with windows 8, a quick google shows that there is a workaround to install it and the reason you get that message is because of the way Nero installs itself, it's to do with running the extracted files from the installer in win 7 mode and not the installer.

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you have a spare key, are you allowed to sell it on aslong as the buyer is upgrading from a previous version of windows ? Like are you allowed to list it on here in the market place.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I believe you are allowed to sell a key that you no longer use yes, but you have to remove the install related to that key, if you have installed already.

10. cdb

cdb No comment

How long does it take for the key to come through? I ordered one on Wednesday and haven't received it yet.

11. wolfticket

You mean the media center activation key I assume? As you should get the Windows 8 one immediately through the installer.

For me it took a day or two. However, technically you shouldn't be able to use it any more even if it does turn up in your inbox (the deadline for activation was 1st Feb). Worth a try though.

12. cdb

cdb No comment

Yes, sorry the media key. Why should I not be able to use it? I ordered it when it was free, f they can't send it in time it shouldn't be my problem, should it?

13. wolfticket

On the most recent version of the email it say:
    So it may not turn up, and if it does turn up, it may not work.
    However, if you do get it there shouldn't be any harm in trying it. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft give people a bit of wiggle room on the deadline, especially if they know there is a backlog.

14. cdb

cdb No comment

Is that in the email I haven't received yet?:duh::D

15. GoodBytes

If anything. Windows Media Center with DVD playback add-on is 9.99$ US/Canadian, and £6.99 in U.K

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yeap £6.99 in uk, had to buy 2 as you are only allowed 1 free media center key per email address.

17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I've just looked at the new win 8 pro upgrade price on the MS store (£189.99). I think they don't want to sell any more copies of this OS, and just want it bundled on new machines.

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah that's ridiculous how can they sell it for 24.99 then expect people to pay 189.99. That makes the 4 spare keys I have worth a bit more than 24.99 doesn't it ;). And if I am allowed to sell one on I could be tempted as long as the buyer qualified for an upgrade.

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No, they don't really expect you to pay that price, they just think that everyone who did want to upgrade already did it.

Upgrade is not interesting anymore, and if you need Windows 8 you got the following options :
    • Home user - buy a System Builder (OEM) Windows 8 (€90) or Windows 8 Pro (135€) and as a home user use the Personal use licence. This gives you pretty much a retail licence for a price of the OEM Windows.
    • Business user - you are expected to enroll in one of the many Microsoft volume licencing options : http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.aspx. You don't get the retail licencing, but unfortunately there is no retail W8.

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Glad I have 4 spare upgrade keys then ;)