Windows Windows Live Movie Maker problems.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Booga, 8 Nov 2011.

1. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I am having a strange problem with WLMM.
    I put together a project the other night adding a few avi files and some music and all ways well.
    When I went to open it today the project it took ages to load the avi files and then when it did and I played the movie I could hear the sound embedded in the avi (the background game sound) but not the music I had added.
    It also does not allow me to open old WMM files which I think is a bit daft.

Is there anything free that is better than WLMM or can I get WMM back?
    That seemed to work OK.
    My WLMM also updated today fyi.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's strange but I've had problems with windows live tools- I don't think I'm alone either.. I don't install any of it anymore

using adobe software instead (aftereffects, premiere) and then compress it with the adobe media encoder.. know that's not much help- you can try the old vdub off sourceforge if you just need something stitched together

http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

even nero 7 had some decent video editing, you might have that already

maybe you can get the older version back.. you try system restore? might find a link in the morning

Booga likes this.
  3. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Thanks,
    I'll try out VDUB, I am littraly just stitching stuff together and adding music.

4. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Tried it again tonight and after opening the project it sat there with both my cores running 100% for about 10 mins, with no sign of anything happening. Even getting the task manager open was a difficult.

My PC is no slouch and I don't ever remember it having this problem before with WLMM.
    I think I am going to uninstall Windows live I don't use any of the other features.

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

WMM stopped working on my pc for some strange reason a while back ( instantly says there is an error and needs to close when you start it up- uninstalling & reinstalling doesn't fix it, so... ), so I downloaded both VDub & Video Pad video editor.

Vdub is great for just stitching videos together/ chopping sections out without needing to re-encode, but it doesn't like certain formats and I don't think you can add a soundtrack ( correct me if I'm wrong ).

Video pad how ever is exactly the same as WMM, even lets you adjust the volume of the sound track/ main video separately and do basic transitions/ titles etc, with much more control over how you encode it when you are finished ( codecs, file size, bit rates and such ). Worth giving that a shot if Vdub won't do what you want it to.

Booga likes this.
  6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Thanks for that :thumb: will give it a try.

I unistalled Windows Live Essentials and re-installed WMM 2.6 for Vista which seems to work perfectly. I was even able to open old WMM files and re-link the missing files.

7. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

So it seems, I am having problems with VideoPad as well.
    Firstly it seems to take ages loading media and then when it does and I select an avi file it doesn't show it in the preview window. When I drag or add to sequence it doesn't show in sequence preview either.
    The avi files are OK and work in WMM I just wanted to see if I could get a better quality output from VideoPad.

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Strange, no issues here with avi files- you are using the 'add media' function to import the file, then dragging & dropping it onto the 'sequence' bar? I get the preview pictures in 'clip preview' & 'sequence preview', though depending on the file size/ type the frame previews can take a while to load in the sequence bar. Not sure what to say really.. :-/

9. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

OK I'll keep trying. It certainly looks to have all the features I'd like.
    Thanks for your help. :thumb: