1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter of discontent the sequel?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Harlequin, 19 Dec 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As Corky42 points out: your core identity is not your biological makeup.

I think that these things possibly happen because gender is complex and people don't get how it works. In any case the mother's scheme wouldn't have worked anyway. You can raise a boy as a girl or vice versa but some tragic real life examples show that all you do is mess them up --their gender (as wired into their brain, the one they experience) will eventually assert itself anyway.

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

50% of the country struggles to get a C in GCSE mathematics.

Many struggle to get 5 GCSEs and having worked in HR, the idea that there are hundreds of degree level students out there for the picking is just ridiculous (despite the nonsesnse the national press try to feed everyone).

A 'C' in mathematics and a degree are a base requirement for most entry level 'careers'.

Try joining the rest of us in 'reality' where degrees are still tough to get, especially in a STEM subject and anything 2:2 or above is even rarer.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The colleges I went to must have been for dunces. :)

If someone shows up and does the work they'll get a degree. I found my leaving certificate much more difficult than doing a degree.

Funnily enough I got a D2 (barely passing ) in my final maths exam in secondary school. I showed up but I didn't do the work, fell behind and never caught up.

4. Nexxo

Well, you went there, so... er... :worried:

Oh, come on. I couldn't let that opening pass.

5. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Physics / Astronomy teacher here. The expected pass rate for students attaining both English and Maths for the new GCSEs next year will be 35%. Also letter grades are being phased out with most stopping this year English and Maths already gone. Grades are now 1-9 with 9 being the highest and only achieved by the top 4%. A 5 is a pass and equivalent to a high C / low B. Remember if they fail English or Maths they have to retake it until they pass...

FYI : The new GCSEs are a lot harder, contain large amounts of A-level content, require huge amounts of recall and are almost equivalent to O-level difficulty. British education is feeling more and more like climbing trees when only a few of our kids are monkeys...

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

6. Nexxo

In the Netherlands we have a 1-10 rating with 6 and above being a pass. A 7 is good, an 8 is excellent and a 9-10 is outstanding. 5 and below are a fail.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think my maths score demonstrates the extents of my genius. :) I certainly wasn't getting into Trinity college with it.

8. walle

walle Minimodder

Your biological makeup is your core identity (context given) it's what you are born with/as and it will be married to your sexual identity, they go hand in hand. You are confusing all of that with personality, personality is something different and will be individual to each and everyone of us.

This is what is being done today in various ways and it's both dysfunctional and destructive.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2017
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Your core identity is made up from your life experiences and while those life experiences include being male or female those aren't the only things contributing to your core identity.

What you seem to be describing is core gender identity but even then that's not necessarily something that's set for life or defined by your biological makeup.