Playstation 3 Worth buying a PS3 for potential homebrew?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by remixme, 8 Sep 2010.

1. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

With the advent of the PS3 exploit. Do you think we will see an explosion of interesting media apps, homebrew, emulators, as we did for the original xbox?

NB: Lets not go over piracy discussions, console flame wars, etc. Basically respect forum rules.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  2. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

3. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

My understanding of that rule was not to discuss implementation in any way; I'm just interested to know whether people think it will turn into the kind of scene we saw with XBMC?

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

The exploit seems like something Sony will eventually patch. So no, I don't see a lot of homebrew happening.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Try a Wii, or better yet, a Caanoo.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Nope I doubt it. Want homebrew? Buy a PC.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

9. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Given the hostility shown by Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo towards "unauthorised" use of their consoles, it seems outright lunacy to reward these companies by purchasing their control-freak hardware.

Anyone wanting to support homebrew should consider a console/manufacturer that supports it like the GP2X.

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

This. I can see wanting homebrew for the DS/PSP, since they're portable, or hacks like storing all your games on HDD but for general programs and media apps, what makes it any better than a good old PC?

11. bamboosensei

bamboosensei What's a Dremel?

a pc is probably the best option for homebrew... especially since you can literally tailor a pc to how you want it to be; if you want ps3 exclusive games i guess it might be worth getting one.. but to be honest, right now the scene is pretty unstable in my opinion and it'd be best waiting a little while until everything has settled down and the ps3 jailbreak is something which the mass population has already done; updates will patch exploits and there's always the possibility of a ban which means that the jailbreak wasn't really worth it if all you wanted to do was play vba or something XD

12. riggs

riggs ^_^

I can see what you guys are saying with the whole 'get a PC' argument, but that's not really a relevant answer to the question.

Would I recommend buying a PS3 for homebrew? No. However, if you've already got one, you're still running 3.41 and can live without online play then I'd say invest in a USB dev. kit and have a play around. If, like me, you like tinkering with this kind of thing then it's going to be an interesting few months at least.
    The PS3 'scene' is buzzing at the moment, with a new 'app' being released every couple of days and it's probably going to get bigger over the next few months (assuming it ends up going the same way as the PSP with custom firmware etc.)

Will it ever reach the heights of the Dreamcast/Xbox? Who knows, but I certainly hope it does. All I'm wanting out of this is ability to run backups**, emulators and XBMC (or varient).

(**purely for load times and having all my games 'in one place' - although there's never any point in arguing this on a forum, people tend to assume all homebrew enthusiasts are pirates and we all get tarnished with the same brush).

[edit] So, the 'scene' is on overdrive at the moment. In little under a month we've already got a backup manager, FTP / filemanager apps, USB firmware loader, emulators (Dreamcast, SNES and PSP - all WIP, but still impressive) and a homebrew Pong clone! :)
    Whether this is just the honeymoon period for PS3 homebrew I don't know, but I'm hoping that the trend continues and we see more exciting stuff over the coming months.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010