1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Xbox 360 Kinect First Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Aug 2010.

1. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

we need to see the kinect hardware on the pc, im guessing it pugs in via USB on the 360, so prehaps it will be usable on the PC

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The very early demo's of Natal showed some great potential but the launch line-up is pap and reading this preview only confirms my fears.

3. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Guess you never been to Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Michigan during Football Season!!

4. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

As I suffer from a 0.25 second lag in real life this means I'll be 0.5 seconds behind everyone else whilst playing a game...sigh...oh well...its a pain living slightly out of sync with reality.

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I actually played a couple a games on Kinect yesterday in Alton Towers and first impressions I feel are very positive. The kids and I played the adventure water rapids thingy game and it was as Nintendo put it "fun!".

It's a new medium like the 3DS that will take developers a few months extra to get to grips with but with a November release date, I'm sure there are titles yet to be announced.

It's not all doom and gloom as the above posts and this (limited) review claim but it's also not the finished article, yet! but tell me what has been at launch ever?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Things aren't looking great for Kinect, it seems. Whilst they may very well fix the lag, as Sony have done as the months have gone by with Move, that doesn't solve the key issues currently plaguing the device.

For one things, the games look just terrible - the titles they chose to unveil at E3 were frankly horrifying. Kinect will find it difficult to get a good start in the market if it chooses to launch at such a high price with such Wii-esque titles. Secondly, the whole idea of controller free gaming to me just seems awful. Most (not all) things that games attempt to simulate require actually holding something. There could be some potential in sports/fitness games, but take for example a Star Wars game. Most people would love to be a Jedi, but pretending to hold a lightsaber when you actually have nothing in your hands would just emphasise that you are not one, and in fact look quite ridiculous waving your arms around in front of the screen.

The most exciting thing about it for me is its use as a controller for things like navigating menus and DVD playback etc, but at £129, that's an expensive remote control. Perhaps a developer could take the minority report style navigation functionality of Kinect and create a turn based strategy akin to Total War, giving you birds eye command over an entire army, where motion control could actually be useful and make you feel like a God. Or perhaps pigs will fly.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There was a time when things weren't released before they were finished... :sigh:

I'll wait for at least a year before I consider buying anything related to Kinect, just to see how they patch away the flaws and to have a better games line-up.

8. wyte_w0lf

wyte_w0lf What's a Dremel?

I think it has alot of potential,but one thing concerns me. When I play online games I shout, swear and sometimes gesticulate all over the place... what in god's name will the device perceive? Shut down, format hard drive, disconnect controller. lol. Depends how much controll kenect has over your system.

But, it does have potential. PC use would be good. It is a little over priced sure but that didn't stop me buying the steering wheel just for one game (forza 2). This could be brilliant if it's done properly.

9. SproutWinkler

SproutWinkler Spending a penny...

For the price of Move for PS3 I could see me getting that but the cost of Kinect is off-putting.

10. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I wrote a similarly wary article about the Nintendo Wii when it was released. Although the console went on to sell by the bucketload it would be difficult to argue it has been taken up by the serious gamer. Why doesn't Microsoft stick to what the Xbox 360 is good at?

My Wii review:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/wii/2006/10/26/Nintendo_Wii_Hands_On/1

11. SinSilla

SinSilla What's a Dremel?

For me that is part of Kincets potential. Go grab that broomstick or an authentic movie prop if you want to hold something while swinging the virtual lightsaber.

The firsts natal spots that went public had the element of "scanning" actual items fur ig/rl usage. Even though that was also the last time i saw that.

But still, just because there is no controller to hold you can hold whatever you like.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The problem I see Microsoft having with Kinect is the fact it's a 360 add-on. The Wii did amazingly well because it was bought by people who otherwise don't buy consoles. It was for families and non-tech types and they all loved it to bits.

These are not the same people who own 360s, that's still the domain of teenagers and more hardcore gamers, all of whom aren't big Wii players. A Venn Diagram of Kinect potential market and 360 owners isn't going to have a very big overlap section.

13. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

That's true, I forgot about that. I guess time will tell whether the ability to scan things in will become widely and well used (or is even still available). If it does, that's great, as it means almost anything can be a controller. Though the amount of tat that would be pushed into the market as a result of that would be awful...

14. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

MS should have anticipated this review and released "Secret of Monkey Island: Kinect the Dots Edition" as a launch title.

Then we would all get to read about how awesome it is kicking seagulls with your real feet instead of a mouse cursor.

DarkLord7854 likes this.
  15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Hugs his Wii

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

They're setting up a kinect trial outside my local trainstation

will update once I've had a go

17. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I got the Wii based on the ads, it looked great with lots of potential.

It has the acuracy of a shotgun made ouf of jelly, Graphics of a 5 year old with a packet of crayons and games made for the senile.

I hated it, mostly due to crappy ported games.

I Expect this to be the same. I'll wait until it becomes acurate and resoponsive. Next gen maybe?

18. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Had a go on it the other day and came away impressed

found out that I cant control video outside Zune

cried