Xbox error

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by A3D, 14 Oct 2005.

1. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

I get an error when putting in a disc to my xbox that says cant read disk or something to that effect. I have to restart it like 8 or 9 times before it might read the disk. Im thinkig i might be able to change the disk dive over if i bought a used one offline. im just wonderin if this will screw my xbox up, i am good with computer stuff so i am capable of changing this over.

thanks...shawn

2. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

As far as i'm aware you can't use just any old drive, (although I could be wrong). However if you got to http://www.xbox-mod.co.uk/ you can buy a replacement drive, I'd suggest you avoid the thompson drive as these are the worst drives on the xbox.

3. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Well if your xbox is open you can tell what brand it is, Samsung earlier models are the best overall, Phillips and Hitachi are in there and Thompson (what most xbox's have) is the worst :(. You can tweak the eye look at xbox-scene.com's tutorials I've done it and it's worked amazingly and acts like a brand new drive (as the thompson). You other option is to buy a new one, look on ebay they are very specific as to what goes in an xbox, so I suggest just buying a xbox drive :D

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It's really easy to change, it's almost exactly the same as a PC in there. It won't mess your Xbox up if you do it properly.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But you cant swap it out for a normal DVD drive though, ive tried that one.

6. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Bindibadgi you can, just specific models the Samsung 616T and 616F are able to be reflashed with the 605 firmware(xbox drive) and have the ability to read every XBOX disc you throw at it. That requires some knowhow to do. You can tweak the pot, which will change the height and angle of the laser and get better readings from that, or just buy a new xbox drive on ebay, I've gotten 2 brand new Thompsons for $20 apeice shipped.

Also forgot to mention that you can replace it with a normal PC DVDROM, or even CD ROM, however you'd need a modded xbox to actually read from it.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I meant plug in and play.

8. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

You can use any xbox hard drive in any other xbox.

9. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Ah I gotca :), misunderstood ya, I got into PC's thanks to XBOX's, so I'm more experienced with them. As to hard drives, yes, however you have to first unlock the hdd, then lock it to the new xbox, making it unreadable to any other device while still locked. I've got quite a few paperweights as a result.

10. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

Ok thanks guys, i think i will grab a new one of Ebay and throw it in their. Shouldnt have any problems. Thanks again, shawn

11. eminvil_12

eminvil_12 What's a Dremel?

hehe themuffinman, i remember you from xb-scene :)

I find it funny coming to these forums and watching some of these xbox n00bs talk. good for a laugh because they think they know what they are talking about.

As for DVD drives, grab yourself a LG GDR-8163b from ebuyer.co.uk for pretty cheap. These drives read every single disc you will throw at them, great for an in car xbox unit as it plays MP3's aswell. Just have to install 4 X 1k ohm resistors and your done.

Here is the tutorial for it. It is now the best investment ive made for my XBOX.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=400274

Cheers,
    eminvil_12

12. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

how come you have to install resistors? i, like bindi, have installed a standard dvdrom drive in my xbox and it read all media i threw at it apart from original xbox discs.
    does your mod let you play originals or something? as far as i was aware it was just some samsung drives that could be flashed with the firmware?

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Why don't you go back to xbox-scene then with your mighty post count of over 1100

bindi edit: easy, tiger ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Nov 2005
  14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't particularly like your attitude either.

You're going about being a member of these forums in the wrong way if you want to hang around for any length of time. Read the rules that you agreed to when you registered and take not of them. I don't expect to have to tell you this again.

Frankly, we don't care how many posts you have on Xbox Scene forums and I don't care for the fact that you've only got four posts here. Post count means absolutely nothing. You could be a complete asshole and have a 1100 post count. The post that you've made in this thread doesn't leave me with the greatest expectations of you making valid contributions to these forums without trying to insult everyone here at the same time.

15. eminvil_12

The GDR-8163b can read pretty much all media including original xbox games.
    Three of the resistors are just there for safety and they other is necessary for CD support.

mushky - Post counts now over 2200 not that it matters, post count = nothing as you said. plus i made that sig when i was trading alot ;)

bigz - i want knocking any of the members, i was just pointing out that it is weird coming from a forum full of people which have knowledge primarily about xbox's and most likely not much to do with P.C's into another forum which is the exact oposite.

And i wasnt trying to insult P.C modders, i actually thought youd see where i was coming from, because im sure all of you have been in a forum where you have knowledge above the rest there. (like a p.c forum on xb-scene) See what im getting at.

So guys, stop being hostile and actually see where im coming from, not trying to hurt your little feeling or put you down.

As for making a contribution to bit-tech, im sure i could. Ive made my contribution to xbox-scene, been temporarily banned twice but does doing a wrong mean you can never do a right. Ofcoarse not.

Plus i havent any clue as to what im doing with my P.C, about all i can do is swap hard drives and stuff like that. And could ofcoarse mod the **** out of it with LED's amd crazy ****.

So it will be a while before i make a contribution which is a good one, everyone has to learn somewhere.

Cheers guys,
    No need to start flaming over something so small and insignificant.

Regards,
    eminvil_12

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

This is what is likely to upset people:

"I find it funny coming to these forums and watching some of these xbox n00bs talk"

It's not exactly the most adequate way to start posting on a forum. I'm sure the same would be the case if someone jumped over to Xbox-scene and started calling them a bunch of n00bs for some other reason. It just isn't the right way to make friends, s'all.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Let me point out where the misunderstanding may have arisen:

Hard not to interpret this as coming over a bit condescending, is it? This is not made any better by then remarking that you are not trying to "hurt our little feelings".

Only if you can learn from your mistakes. ;)

Enjoy your stay on the forums. But please think before you post. First impressions are hard to erase.

18. eminvil_12

Will do next time ;)

cheers

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

:thumb:

20. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

Right my 2 pence worth.

As a frequenter of Xbox Scene, Maxconsole, various other xbox modding forums and obs here, I actually find the people here more helpful and knowledgeable.

Not only is Bit-Tech frequently noted as being one of the pinicle sites of computer modding but also one of the older ones.

Remember at the heart of the matter a xbox IS a pc.

Bound by the same rules, with a few extra thrown in for good measure (and supposedly good security - Pah!)

Be nice to the people here and they will be nice back.

Tags: