1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One controller gets Windows drivers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Say wut?

MicroUSB cables aren't exactly inflexible in the same way a 24-pin ATX power cable is.

Seriously, how exactly is pluggin a USB cable at the top uncomfortable?

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I think 'ergonomic' was maybe the wrong word to use. Would 'convenient' be better? Probably not.

Personally I understand the intent of the articles statement in that having to use a cable isn't as flexible as being able to use wireless or wired modes. It doesn't change the ergonomics of the controller but some people will moan about having to use a fixed length wire and using a cable may 'force' them to sit in less than optimal position.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't know about you, but the only micro-USB cables I've got lying around here are around 30cm long. Perhaps you don't mind being scrunched up next to your monitor, but I'd prefer to use a wireless controller, kick back and relax while I'm playing. Then there's the joy of the USB cable coming loose during gameplay - it's not a locking connector, y'know...

5. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

I guess convenience is a factor..

All of mine are around 1.5m.. (granted, I did accidentally order 10 such cables that one time) plenty for when I'm at my desktop. TV gameplay requires somewhat longer cables, sure, but still, it's not like one can't find those either.

As for coming loos, that just means prime time to get a new cable. On the other hand, no more of that broken internal wires nonsense of captive cables, so IMO a definite plus vs captive cables. Oh, and much easier to store since I can wrap the cable properly and avoid flexing at the connector instead of wrapping it around the controller as one would usually do.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm happy to know this will work with games that require an xbox 360 controller - I was holding off on buying one of these controllers until I knew for sure that would work.

While tethering isn't really a big deal to me (I have USB extension cords), are there any non-wireless options you can buy? They tend to be cheaper and cords don't bother me that much.

I'd get a 360 controller but I'm not sure if newer PC games will be compatible with it.

7. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

From what we've seen so far in terms of announcements, no. (I think MS confirmed that too, but I can't say for sure).

Maybe one with bundled cord, but that's it.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Tried this out yesterday on my pc and it works expected (in other words like a 360 controller). The lead is irrelevant for me as I use a wired 360 pad normally. The cable you get with the play and charge kit is also about a mile long so no issues there.

The only downside I found is that the controller needed to be synced again with the Xbone before I could use it. I don't know if this is a bug with the current driver or by design. No biggy though.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the xbox one controller play and charge has a lead about 3 meters long

10. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Time to get a new Xbox One controller so I don't have to keep re-syncing then....

Since playing games with the One controller the 360 pad hasn't quite felt right :/

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Apart from the situation where you don't already have 360 controllers for use with the PC I don't see then benefit here. What do the XBOne controllers offer (especially for PC) that the 360 doesn't? If I had the XBOne, as long as they (360 pads) continue to work I think I would still keep the 360 pads for the PC and then there is no issue using the XBOne pads for the console, especially now as they are not wireless compatible as of yet. Which brings up the second issue, I think Microsoft is being extremely slack with regards to driver support here. They knew how poplar the 360 pads were with PC gamers and to not have a driver sorted by now is lame. How much more difficult is it to get the driver to support wireless use?

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Reason to upgrade from wireless 360 pad is?