1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

6 months full pay, followed by 6 months half pay then SSSP or out on your ear at my place.
    I think I've had one day off sick this year.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mean you change as much as you want/need to.
    I started a new role in Jan but am currently putting some feelers out, nothing wrong with my current role other than been told I could be earning more, and with the way things are looking right now that's becoming more and more important to me.

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I was working for a crypto firm, it's in my top 2 of toxic workplaces and takes the cake for poor management and inability to deliver tbh

4. GeorgeStorm

I mean that doesn't really surprise me :D, defence or finance are things I don't really consider unless it's ludicrous.

As it happens had a first interview yesterday, casual chat I thought, ended up nattering a bit longer than meant to but ended up getting an offer 10% over what I'd proposed as a desired salary (which is a 25% bump) a couple of hours later (so a 37.5% pay rise). Genuinely shocked when I got the call, so now really got to think what I want to do. Was planning on talking about salary with my current employer in the next week or two but I guess this accelerates things.
    I enjoy my current job, stress is super low most of the time, very flexiblie with working from home, if I have to nip out, can make up time later if needed etc. Only main 'downsides' are when I do go in it's a ~2hr drive each way, and as I've just found out, I could be earning more elsewhere.
    New role pays better, I got on really well with the interviewer who would be leading this new team he's putting together for the company to work on some new features, sounds like there's a bit of wiggle room as to how things will be done etc. Bonus is it's only 15mins away so when I do go in that'll be a nice change.

I was reading through some of the thread and previous advice, sadly not sure I'd be able to try and improve the offer since he knew I had 50 as my proposed/desired salary and went higher than it, although I guess no harm in trying maybe. @Bloody_Pete had you discussed desired salary etc before you got that original offer?
    For anyone who has spoken with a current employer about a specific offer/competitor (@Byron C I saw you commented about that kind of scenario, did you end up having a chat about it?) how did it work out/is it worth mentioning specifics or just the general idea?

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I mean that would sell it for me.
    And the increase in pay.
    And if I got on with who I'd be working with.

Then again if you're really happy where you are it's a tough choice, a good working environment can make up for a lot in a job.

Then again the new place could be just as good if not better.

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Instead of cash why not negotiate on benefits you want?

I've done better health care, pre-agreed annual bonus, work from home (pre covid) and various other things over different companies depending what mattered to me at the time.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've done this - I was contacted by a former colleague at a competitor-ish about a role, said "sure no harm in having a chat" whilst not really being overly interested in it or looking to leave, one thing led to another and ended up with an offer of ~30% rise in base salary. I was totally honest with my then (and still) employer in letting them know the circumstances that led to the interview, the offer, and that I'd like to stay and I'm stalling them on accepting the offer, but 30% is something I'm finding difficult to just ignore, too.

It was eventually matched my my current employer - It took a while and went way up the food chain and needed a very senior exec to bat for me (because policy, HR etc all said nope), and I'm almost certain wouldn't have happened had I not built up a bit of renown in the year preceding particularly. This was around 5 years ago and I'm still at the same company and glad to be, I'm almost certain I'm happier where I am than where I would have been otherwise, tbh. (or maybe that's just what I need to tell myself).

I don't think there's ever been such an obvious case of "YMMV" though - this worked out just right for me but how people can respond to this sort of scenario will obviously vary wildly.

At a previous company I had climbed a few rungs of the ladder more quickly than HR/payroll policies would keep up with, approached my then boss+1 (boss said he would love to make me good but his hands were tied) about being paid around 40% lower than the median for the role, he said and I quote "if you think you can get that somewhere else then maybe that's what you should do" (and not in a supportive way, in a dismissive way). I did, and then some. I had an offer from a then-partner and informed a few individuals about it, including my boss+2 (or maybe +3) since he was an exec sponsor on a large project of mine that included said partner and didn't want anything to seem sus - he did ask about any arrangements we would come to that would see me wanting to stay, but as soon as I even so much as hinted that I was ready to move on (and I was, 110%) it was clear that he wasn't going to so much as attempt to convince me otherwise. In reality I would have almost certainly left anyway and he knew this too.

wyx087 likes this.
  8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just let them know what you need to stay, don't get unrealistic with it and try not to get emotional should the conversation take an unexpected turn, stay professional. They don't need to know numbers or who you are going to, often your offer is part of a confidentiality agreement with new company, or tends to be in my experience.

Normal process for me seems to be, polite conversation with management suggesting that I need a correction, generally falls on deaf ears, no one wants to pay it seems, or it is a tactic to play hardball using comments such as you are well above the radford scale etc, which by its very nature is always out of date! after giving them the chance to do the appropriate thing and failing, I go off and find new role, then hand in resignation.

At this point the conversation gets serious and then it is panic stations for them to give me what I am after, rubbish scenario but seems to be how all the tech companies I have worked for operate, more often than not I get a match with the competitor or close enough that I don't have to give up the comfort and security of where I am, and by that I mean if I have a couple of years behind me then there's a redundancy blanket etc, to think about, my area, silicon design, has a very much hire/fire mentally due to mostly being US funded and these companies are happy to to wipe whole pages off the balance sheet in a blink of an eye.....only to re-hire a few months later...:eyebrow:

If I don't get the response I'm after, I just leave, always try to do so positively as my field is small and you never know when you might need to come back.

Inflation linked payrises don't exist in any company I have worked for throughout my career, so this tends to be my go to method for any sort of correction, I'd probably still be earning 8k if I didn't take control of this myself. :D

The up/down side of companies acting this way is sometimes you'll find a company that looks properly interesting to work for and you leave regardless, where as if they just sorted you out in the first place you may never have looked and they wouldn't have a hole to fill, still it is what is, no one is irreplaceable.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We're coming into annual review season so it's definitely a subject I'm going to be raising. Salaries in my sector have gone up a lot over the last couple of years and it is most definitely a candidate's market right now. I have no desire to leave this company: it's a great job at a great employer with competent leadership and some of the most talented people I've ever worked with. Yeah there are shitty parts to it, there's bureaucracy, there are bad decisions, and it is extremely fast paced - show me a job that has literally no downsides or frustrations and I'll show you my squadron of airborne pigs. But ultimately the only person truly looking out for my interests is me - I'd be a fool not to at least broach the subject.

10. GeorgeStorm

Well current employer ended up offering a 20% jump, but new company also added a smidge to their offer taking it to nearing 45% compared to my current salary and about 20% over the counter offer.

After lots of umming and arring(?) I did hand in my notice today, only for my current employer to also mention another 5% company wide that apparently was going to happen....

Still not 100% on my decision to be honest and need to confirm final day of work and what's happening with holidays etc tomorrow. Maybe I'll feel more confident tomorrow!

Goatee and adidan like this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good luck dude :thumb:

12. GeorgeStorm

Aaaand because nothing in life is simple, had a call with the CEO today (they were on leave yesterday), and they asked what if we matched, is it just the money type thing.
    So now it's stay for the intial 37.5% or move for an extra 5ish%, head's been all over the place this week :D

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Stay, but......... be aware that you'll have to do this dance every x years.

Just my tuppenth worth, I'd jump ship tommorrow and could probably get a significant increase in pay, but I do get to WFH 4 days a week, and I do have 20+ years of security should the brown sticky stuff hits the oscillating air distributor, and I do pretty much get away with anything I like.

14. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Well iv being on this job for almost 3 and half years now. Been on strike, which we mostly won last year.
    I'm pretty much a one man army engineer at this point with all the training and upskills I have now.
    On 37k as of this year.

Iv developed to the highest point in Service Delivery now, so will be looking to move this year either within the company or out outside it if they can make the wage attractive enough.

Still enjoy my job though!

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Well that's the company I work for being shut down, and eight people soon to be jobless. Let me tell you, working in the video games industry is no picnic, and whilst there are definite perks, it's one of these industries that really takes the piss out of the many whilst favouring the few. My starting salary (with a first class hons. degree) was £18K, and I've been told that juniors working for small outfits (like ours) will be looking at £20K, which in today's climate is just insulting...but they get away with it. I've secured some short-term freelance work for a few weeks at a rate of £200 per day, which blows away what I was getting paid as an employee, such is the nature of the beast. My average salary over the first three years was below £20K pa, I sh!t you not, and this is working in an industry that makes more money globally than the film industry.

Needless to say, the guys pulling the plug on our company are worth hundreds of millions, and there have been veiled threats regarding the liquidation of company assets worth a few hundred quid. Even with several people out of a livelihood, they are treating us like we're some sort of clandestine terrorist cell... you just can't make it up.

Onto bigger and better things, I guess! :rock:

16. adamanatee

adamanatee What's a Dremel?

Been working for the same company, well, forever (5 years). My first serious job (Operations Manager atm, but doing all kinds of tasks when needed). It's a medium size SaaS at this point, so we sort of grew together. I do get super busy at times and rant around, but definitely worth it.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You must be a young whippersnapper, to think 5 years is, "well, forever".

adamanatee, bawjaws and MLyons like this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ooof thats brutal! Coming from Guildford, half my friend group back there is games industry, and it sounds utterly f***ed right now! Which is impressive,as the games industry is probably the most toxic industry there is normally!

Fingers crossed this improved income continues!!!

LennyRhys likes this.
  19. adamanatee

adamanatee What's a Dremel?

Yes, I see how that sounds. I meant in the context of being the first and thus only serious job. Still, I salute the witty remark, even if on a back pain scale, I don't feel young at all!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@Bloody_Pete appreciate it :) Guildford is one of many places I've previously applied for work, and it's nightmarish trying to get a job there - even more so now. But I shall persevere!