1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Project 180 | Final Pics 20/12/13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 27 Dec 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thats looking really really nice. I love that colour scheme too, i think the white make the red pop out much more than if it's been left as a brushed alu finish. really nice work.

2. dombak1608

dombak1608 What's a Dremel?

Very nice build!
    I love all details in it. :clap: :jawdrop:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome case mod Meelobee, very very veeery nicely done. :D:clap:

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hello again! Last update was a while ago, busy with too much stuff besides modding and been on holiday too, but I did manage to get some stuff on the case done too..

In this build I want to use solid copper wiring again on the EPS connector and the GPU's. I've started with the EPS connector
    [​IMG]

I used metal putty to make a 'connector' around the pins and copper
    [​IMG]

After some filing it starts to look like a connector
    [​IMG]

The connectors are isolated with plastidip, the copper rods will be isolated with either heatshrink or paracord
    [​IMG]

Drilled 2 holes in the midplate and added 2 small rubber washers (?) to allow the copper rods to goto the psu below the midplate
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To hide the ugly I/O ports I've cut a piece of angled aluminum to size, painted it white and added a small piece of red painted hex mesh on the left side. (the right side isn't visible, so there is no mesh there)
    [​IMG]

The Plextor SSD also got a red coat, and I've added the brand letters. The letters came from an external hd housing. (Thanks to Plextor for providing the hd housing!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a friend I got a 2nd Sapphire Radeon 6870 so now I can make it a crossfire build. The gpu's aren't the fastest anymore, but for a build without a real purpose it's more than enough :)
    [​IMG]

Both gpu's will get a backplate and the edges of the pcb's will be painted (with markerpen) black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the backside of the mobotray the cover for the 24-pin connector is installed with the 24-pin wire inside. From the connector to the mobo will be a short extension cable. The 2 remaining holes are for a small logo which I still have to make.
    [​IMG]

The 24-pin connector fits like a glove
    [​IMG]

Wiring for the gpu's will go straight up from the midplate and will be hidden in a cover just like the 24-pin wire. The wire from the connectors on the gpu's to the cover will be made from solid copper.
    [​IMG]

And finally a small mousemod to make the mouse fit with the case colors
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching and till next time!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Project 180 is sponsored by
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Sep 2013
  5. Meelobee

Small update; today I received the coolingliquid from Mayhems. 2 bottles of Pastel White and 6 dyes. This should allow me to get a nice matching fluid for this build. Thanks Mayhems!

[​IMG]

6. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

Epic stuff!! Love it! :)

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

:jawdrop:That paint color...

8. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Subbed in a heart beat.
    Sexy work man

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Your ideas are amazing, and the way they're executed is just perfect. Lots of thought put into cable management, which is something I'm obsessed with at the moment.

Looking pretty awesome

10. Meelobee

Thanks guys :)

[​IMG]

Hello again... Been a while since the last update, I haven't been modding for a while due to a lack of motivation, GTA V and a short illness which I'm still recovering from... But yesterdag I've picked up work on the P180 case again.

Got rid of the connectors on the gpu and started soldering solid coper to the pins. It's not the best soldering job, but it holds and will most likely do fine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To isolate the rods, and for a nice finish I've used Paracord
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the first of the 2 backplates is done too (still needs a coat of paint)
    [​IMG]

I've also ordered a CPU (Intel 3570K) and some memory (8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro) so I can finish this build :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Oct 2013
  11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Great work there. Love the custom details everywhere, especially the EPS copper rods from the mobo. I'm curious though, why do EPS have 6 separate 12V/com pins to start with?

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

All I can say is wow. The attention to detail with the power leads is fantastic. Can't wait to see the end result.

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Idiot/ new-modder proofing I would assume. So that no one tries using wires that are too thin for the power requirements.(Don't tell me you can't see someone hooking headphone wires into an SR-2 and not expecting them to turn into toaster filaments)

Also, great to see some new progress in this log! really made my day!

14. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

OMG! Nice work man. I really enjoyed reading the whole thread. Keep it up!

15. Meelobee

Thanks guys :)

That.. It needs several wires for when the card is under load, a single wire would burn up in a worst case scenario, and it's cheaper use a couple of wires instead of a massive (compared to standard wires) copper wire like I did.

[​IMG]

Today the second gpu got the copper treatment :D So now I got 2 gpu's that only have 4 'wires' instead of the 24 wires they normally would have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both cards, one with and one without the backplate
    [​IMG]

I already received the parts I ordered yesterday, the memory is 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro (CMY8GX3M2A1600C9)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the cpu is an Intel i5 3570K
    [​IMG]

Both cards with backplates in the case
    [​IMG]

And the rgb strip in the top of the case is working too.. Theme for tonight: Slutty Red! :naughty:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

This looks great! Really impressed with the GPU copper wire mod. Looks so clean. How will you feed that back to the PSU?

J.

17. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

very nice meelobee! Didn't expect anything else to be honest :) Just read through the whole build. nice with the solid copper pipes!

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  18. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Great job Meelobee and i love the hard wires. :D

19. Meelobee

The copper goes out of view over the mobo backplate and bends down with a 90 degree angle. From there I'll use the normal cables from the psu, bundled into 3 wires for each lead.

Cheers Ace, the solid copper seems to be a good move, not only for the looks of the build but also in getting alot of likes.

Thanks Paslis, your current build is shaping up nicely too :)

Received the last bits for the coolingloop today, I needed 6 more 90degree angles and 2 extensions to get the loop complete. Tonight I can install the pump and from there it should be not so hard to actually get the build finished :)

20. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

This is soo badass man!!