1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Project 720 | Started on the top - Oct 17

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 12 Dec 2013.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Looking even better than 180! Can't wait to see what you've got in mind for it.

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :)

B-Neg: Jesse?

Didn't have much time to work on the case this week. I've made some small parts for the front and started frosting the plexi for the front, but it's not enough for a real picture update.

Oh and I've ordered an Aqualis 880ml res that should arrive tomorrow :)

Phone pic of the front:

[​IMG]

3. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Jesse is on the Modzoo,really nice guy...not sure why he is over there and not here tbh.

4. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Very nice start. Always liked those old XPS cases. To sad dell stopped making them after they bought alienware. The new ones are kind of...blank :(

5. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Lookig great. Love that style.

6. Meelobee

[​IMG]

Been a while since the last update (I should patent that phrase!) but I've continued working on the case in the meantime :)
    I'd planned some time to take pictures of the progress yesterday, but both my camera and my camera skills let me down. Out of 60+ pics not a single one was decent enough to show in the logs. Either the colortemp is all messed up (way too orange) or the pic is just too dark to see the details.. Problem is I don't have a decent space to photograph my build, I have a small computer room with terrible lightning for taking photo's. Tips and tricks for better photo's are very welcome (

So for now a small update with the progress, pictures are taken with an iPad, sorry for that..

The acrylic strips in the front of the case will be lit with UV leds, in the 4th strip from the left the led is visible
    [​IMG]

With power it looks like this, in reality the whole strip is lit like the bottom half, pink/purple. The camera makes it look alot more blue than it really is.
    [​IMG]

Continuing on the internals of the case, first made a small Sketchup to see the idea before building it
    [​IMG]

So I ordered 6 plates of aluminium (493x210x3mm) and started to cut and file it. First plate I finished was the midplate
    [​IMG]

After that I started on the rest of the plates, made a drawing in Sketchup, converted it to Layer and made 1on1 stencils on stickersheets. (May thanks to Waynio for explaining this to me!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting
    [​IMG]

Alot of filing
    [​IMG]

And done!
    [​IMG]

I finished 4 of 6 plates, for the other 2 I need a mobo to get the correct measurements so the plates won't touch the hardware

[​IMG]

And I've been playing around with Sketchup a bit

[​IMG]

Comments are welcome :)

(Almost 30k views :rock: and only 26 replies :( Come on, don't be shy, hit reply! :lol: )

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  7. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

As ever, brilliant.

Can't believe you didn't do better in MOTY.

8. Meelobee

I was very happy to be nominated at all between all those great builds, and I hoped for a better result, but unfortunately the vote(r)s decided otherwise. :(

Ah well, there's always next year :D

Asouter likes this.
  9. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Starting to get shape. Love the idea with all the midplates something new. ^^

10. Meelobee

Thanks Alain, The plates are something I haven't seen in any other build either :)

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

great idea with the multiple midplates man, very original. Always something new to look at around here. :)

12. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Awesome progress Meelobee. I like the mid panel design.

13. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

I love the way your mods always have originality to them, like now the tiered middle plates. Keeps at least me coming back time after time. :thumb:

14. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Wow that XPS is such a great canvas to start with, very nice work done so far. :thumb:

Great design with the front and mid plate. So will be following the rest of your build. :)

For better lighting grab a Daylight bulb in a desk or clap-on stand. ;)

15. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

I remember seeing pics of that case before but never knew what it was seeing as google couldn't find it for me. Nice idea that you have here and I can't wait to see what the finished product will look like. Subbed!

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Like how this is shaping up, any plans on colour ? or are you going to leave it bare metal ? :)

17. Meelobee

Thanks guys :) I always try to find something new and original, but with all the great builds out there it's getting harder to do something that hasn't been done yet. I've spend alot of time looking at other builds and multiple midplates hasn't been done before to this extend :) I just hope the result will be as good as I have it in my head :)

Thanks Craig :) Ans thanks for the bulb tip, I'll try to get two of them, which colour temp should I get for best results? (My camera is a Casio EXILIM EX-H10)

Thanks Zondorf :thumb:

Thanks Andrae :) Not sure on the colours yet. Bare metal would be cool but only if the finish is superb, which is quite hard to do with the tools I have. Perfectly brushing the panels myself isn't going to happen. So either I need to have the panels brushed somewhere, or maybe I'll go with white again, at least for the interiour. Highlight colour will be something in line with the front leds.

18. craig - toyoracer

Daylight bulbs 5000 - 6500K

19. Meelobee

Thanks Craig, ordered 2 5500k bulbs which should arrive today :)

Finished the main shapes of the midplates yesterday, 2 quick pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The edges need some sanding to smooth them, but man I'm so happy with the result.
    For the first time in my modding career I've first drew the parts in Sketchup and used that to make stickers with the cut-lines, holes etc. The result is much cleaner and the dimensions are spot on!

20. craig - toyoracer

They came out really nice :thumb:

Tip - keep the face sanding to one direction, as those cross scratches will really stand out. :)