1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zelda dev won't quit until he bests Ocarina

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's my point, at the time they were great. I rate games on how good they are now, not how good and revolutionary they were when released. There are many games out there that stand the test of time, IMO, OOT and Goldeneye aren't among them. Greatest games of all time they are definitely not, they have been beaten many times over and I find it truly bizarre how they keep popping up on the top 10 games of all time lists.

2. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Hehe.. Dual flame was the winning combo, and rather over-powered comparatively, but still.. I find it relatively satisfying to go Fixed Shot and melee my way through it. :D

Yes, the N64 is still on my desk, connected to my monitor, and my Megadrive's connected to a 14" tele on the desk behind me. Geek geek geek. :naughty:

3. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Well if I was doing an "all time" list then I would have to rate games on how much I enjoyed playing them, when I played them. I enjoyed those games far more than I have more recent games. The fact that I was 15 and the fact that I'm not going to play through them again means that for the rest of my life they will rate highly on my "best ever" list. You judge the subjective playing experience relative to your other playing experiences. You don't calculate the best games by looking at the minutia of view distance, texture detail and level size of games 10-15 years vs now.
    Besides if you judged games on the length of time you played them for.. then OOT and Goldeneye would be in my top 5 easy. Nowadays I get my lovefilm rental, play whatever it is for 5 or 6 hours and send it back. Back in the N64 days I might have played for 5 or 6 hours a day for a couple of days a week... and still be happily playing them a month or so later.
    Aside from the historical significance of a game, the lists on websites will always have the great games from 10-20 years in the past due to ages of the people making the lists up.. who in their 20-30's will remember playing those games when they grew up. How is that bizarre?

4. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

That game was great, of all the hand held Zelda games that was definitely number one

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I Loved OOT one of the very few games i really got into, For me it was a little linear Id love to see the next zelda in more of a sandbox environment not completely free roaming to do what you like but maybe a bit like oblivion, massive expanses to cover and it would be nice to have to search for weapons in dungeons, and search for clue as to where to find them. Rather than the another dungeon another weapon to be had formula.

6. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

If they added voice acting to the game it would help the series a ton. The Zelda series was cool when it came out in the 80s and it was still modern in the N64 days, but keep in mind that Half Life came out the same year as OoT. Look at Half Life 2 and compare it to WindWaker. If you took away voice acting from games like HL2 then they would be very silly. Why is it that Nintendo gets away with a lack of voice acting?

7. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

Contextually, 'Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made. It's utterly flawless given that the series has never used voice acting - which was seen as its only flaw. Artistic integrity in the face of continuous over-whelming platform development is something to be admired not sneered at.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your logic is fundamentally flawed. Without context you draw unfair conclusions based on limitations which the developers can never contend with. I agree it's often hard to appreciate the cultural and historical significance of a piece of art, but it's by no means impossible.

8. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I think Nintendo could just save time on press releases by just doing that every time they announce a new sequ- err... I mean, game.

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Five-disc epic, at least, probably around 2010.

10. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

My first Zelda game is Majora's Mask, and for me it ranks up there with HL and HL2. Of course, respective of the time it was released. Later I tried out Ocarina of Time, found it to be just too buggy.

Wind Waker? Although I really like it as well, there's just too much time spent on sitting on the boat doing nothing.

Twilight Princess? Although wasn't bad, it's just a boatload of fetch quests.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't see it as flawed, I live in the present, if I stick OOT in my GC, I would spend my time thinking that I'd be better off playing Twilight Princess. If I play something like Deus Ex or Fallout, I'm not thinking that there's a better version of this game out there I could be playing instead. I don't see taking into account how well a game has aged in how good it is now compared to another game is in any way flawed. Yes, I can see and appreciate that back in it's time it was pretty revolutionary and groundbreaking, but if I were making a list of my top games of all time, I would make it so that if a gamer had never played a game on my list before and picked it up, they would be able to see the enjoyment in the game and not think that there was a better version of the game they could be playing. If you put OOT in the hands of someone who had just finished Twilight Princess and had never played a game like TP before and you told them it was a much better game, they would not agree with you, even if they could ignore graphics.

That is what it's all about, enjoyment now, the top games of all time isn't the top revolutionary games of all time or the top games of the 90's. What it should be is a list of really great games that someone could look at and go "Oooh, I've not heard of or played that game before, it's made this top games of all times list, it must be good. It's a bit old so the graphics might be crap, but there should be something that puts it above every other game, like really good gameplay or an amazing story". It's not a list for the writers at IGN or whatever to have a reminisce through rose tinted glasses. OOT has nothing to set itself apart from current games apart from fond memories and the fact it was revolutionary back in it's day. Sure, that's nothing bad, but that doesn't make a game that someone can pick up now and really appreciate as being a great game. That's why I believe it should never be at the top of a greatest games of all time list.

12. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Ocarina of Time
    Half Life 2 -series
    Windwaker

I own 50+ games I've only ever completed those three. I think that's the highest compliment I can give them.

13. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I've got hundreds (heck, probably thousands) of games under my belt and OoT is nowhere near my top 10 list. Most of my all time favorite games came from the SNES era. A Link to the Past tops my list at number one. It's the only game that I've actually played through more then twice. Heck, I've probably played through it at least a dozen times and I have a copy in my GameBoy Micro that sits in he bathroom.

Majora's Mask was ok and Wink Waker would have been a great game had it not been for the massive fricken ocean. The jury is still out on Twilight Princess though as I don't really remember too much about the game. If Nintendo would bring out a 3/4 top-down style game like ALttP for the Wii, then I would probably stand outside in my underwear for a week just to get it on launch day.

Tags: Add Tags