1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows New Outlook PST but keep old emails?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nealieboyee, 28 May 2016.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hi All,
    I have a friend who uses outlook 2013, and their PST file is currently close to 6GB in size, causing massive slowdowns and hangs in outlook. I would like to create a new PST file for her, but have all the old emails accessible/searchable.

I'm sure I've done it once before, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

Creating a new PST is easy, but its keeping the old emails that baffles me.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
    Betty

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It's been a little while since I used Outlook, but I think the setting you're looking for is Archiving the email.
    This page seems to tell you the basics. Basically you'll move old emails into an archive file, that will sit below the inbox/sent/etc folders on the left.
    You can set up auto archive, so anything older than (eg) a year will be moved periodically.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Once you create the new PST, just open the old PST within outlook and it will appear in the navigation pane.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Thanks guys. Now when outlook starts, it should be quicker as its not opening the larger pst file as the primary pst, yes?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Outlook can handle 40GB PST's, a 6GB PST file probably isn't going to slow it down that much

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It still has to load a lot of data, and on a laptop with a spinny harddrive that's not going to be swift.
    Plus, until the mail is archived it'll also be on the server too and that's not going to help.